Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectCom, Cube, Rakim, and KRS are the only cats who may fit...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2988897&mesg_id=2989243
2989243, Com, Cube, Rakim, and KRS are the only cats who may fit...
Posted by Creole, Tue Apr-25-17 08:02 AM
the "GOAT" label besides K. Dot with as strong a run.

Neither Com, Rakim, nor KRS were that popular compared to Cube in each of their respective heydays. However, their runs were phenomenal and still some the music I revisit the most.

It took Com years to become "popular". Dude wasn't even paid attention to by Black women until he did songs with Lauryn, Erykah, and MJB.

Aside from them, there is Future, Rozay, Tip, Beanie, The Game, and Kanye who have had strong 4 album (or more) runs but they aren't in the running, IMO, for GOAT. Rappers who were in groups don't count either as I assume the OP was referring to soloists. KRS was truly the only rapper on the BDP team's albums.

If not, then Ghost, Rae, 3 Stacks, Black Thought, Guru, Face, and Run have had 4 album runs that are undeniable as well. If we stopped at 3 albums, Redman would be the damned real and true GOAT. LOL

Edit: Nas and Jay have a few duds that interrupt their runs which, as mentioned above, usually go three albums at a time before a dud is dropped. They're still in the GOAT category though.

Edit *2: Sales and popularity are questionable because a few of my guys weren't "popular" until they'd been in the entertainment game for a long while. I get what you're saying though. Just wanted to see if we could have gotten responses that spoke to the original post's hankering for "GOAT" runs.