Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectYou don't even need to leave the west to find that guy.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2988897&mesg_id=2989108
2989108, You don't even need to leave the west to find that guy.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Apr-24-17 10:19 AM
Game's first four is pretty damn good. First let’s dispense with the obvious straw man people will run for: I’m not saying Game is the MC Kendrick is. K Dot is an inarguably better MC in my book.

If I need to pick a four album stretch of an artist to listen to I’d take Game’s first four over K Dot’s without question. The fact that Game’s albums are all bloated late 90’s style affairs actually works to his favor for me because I can trim each album down to the joints I like and still have 10-12 tracks on each, though LAX might have to be pared down to 9 or so.

That doesn’t make him a better pure spitter, but I find that I ultimately like more of his songs on a greater level than Kendrick’s, and that’s with the constant name dropping and a-b-c schemes and flow. While we’re at it I’d listen to the first 5 joints off RED before I’d listen to any of Kendrick’s solo work and I’d rather listen to Kendrick’s hook on Angels than most of his own joints.

For me, the song is the thing and that’s where Kendrick falls far, far short of a lot of MC’s for me.

I genuinely like Kendrick as an MC. As a pure spitter he's on level with anyone.

But there's nothing he's ever done that *I* was able to put on repeat. Not an album or a song.

Conversely, I still rock Blank Face LP all the damn time. All. The. Time. That joint is skip-free for me and every song on there is my favorite song while I'm listening to it.

To say Jay and Nas can't compete with a four album run is absurd IMO. Hell I'd put Nas's run from Stillmatic-God's Son-Lost Tapes-Streets Disciple against K Dot's run. I'll also take Com and Thought. And Pharoahe.

If we're doing groups it's even worse IMO because I'd take Kast, Tribe, Dilated, etc. The Roots have a run that shits on most catalogs.

I like Kendrick. I like his style and enjoy his albums but there's a generation gap for me when it comes to the aesthetic of much of his production choices and his songs overall don't connect with me on that level.