Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectGood post - I get where you are coming from
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2988897&mesg_id=2989035
2989035, Good post - I get where you are coming from
Posted by Kosa12, Sun Apr-23-17 02:00 PM
To start off I don't think Kendrick is the greatest obviously and on the other side obviously I know you enjoy his music (had to get that out of the way because sometimes the arguments just go 0 to 100 here), but what happens if you have the perspective - I'm younger than a lot of ya'll but I can guarantee I have heard/talked about most if not all the classics/underground stuff that we frequently talk about here - and still think he is on at least a historically competitive/significant run. I mean when I say Kendrick is my favorite current hip hop artist (current being the key word), I'm not even comparing him to Drake and Cole, I don't even like those dudes - I'm comparing him to stuff I actually think is dope - the recent releases of artists in my taste which is Open Mike Eagle, Aesop Rock, Odd, Milo, Elucid, RTJ etc, I mean I know for a fact that me and you are fans of a lot of the same underground stuff.

I agree with you in the sense that, if someone young who hasn't done their homework comes up to me and tells me Kendrick is the greatest - I would obviously tell them I disagree but see why they might say that due to the way that the mainstream is set up/has been set up for years. That said, I disagree with you in the sense that (you seem to be implying this) if you know your hip hop history and listen to non-commercial stuff (AKA our taste in music) you will not think he is special/unique/impressive - I think he is all those things.