Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectSeems like she will never be able to utilize her full artistic potential
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2973662&mesg_id=2973981
2973981, Seems like she will never be able to utilize her full artistic potential
Posted by micMajestic, Mon Sep-26-16 09:05 AM
>I've been rooting for her since '212.' Her antics turn the
>new ones off to her music, but she is the only female rapper
>right now that I listen to consistently.
>
>With was she does with hip hop, dance music and house, rapping
>and singing, she could have been a baby Missy Elliott. I still
>think she has it in her, but she needs to work through her
>personal stuff first, and privately.
>
>No mainstream female rapper right now is putting out anything
>that's touching
>Licorice
>Van Vogue
>Chasing Time
>Luxury
>
>just to name a few of her singles.

When it comes to the American audience, marketability is much more important than artistry. And she doesn't seem to have a group of girls that readily identify with her. Versatility is interesting to music lovers, but the machine can't do anything with it.

Colorism seems to have really affected her career, but she only addressed it in a novelty fashion. Then she turns around and bleaches her skin. Her talent could have been used to make a major statement on colorism with the support of the right people.
It's a very real issue that effects Black female music artists (and obviously Black females in general), and no one in the entertainment business seems to care. Imagine if she chose to articulate in music the thoughts & feelings that led up to that decision. That could have been groundbreaking....