Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectSo, one mistake is all it takes nowadays?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2971418&mesg_id=2971473
2971473, So, one mistake is all it takes nowadays?
Posted by DVS, Tue Aug-23-16 08:31 AM
My thing is this....

This was the collab with Brand Nubian...which meant chances of it having a DECIDED 5% slant is high.

2nd...this is the early 90s. These cats were early 20s at best. They had yet to develop a sense of place and purpose.

3rd...I haven't heard anything remotely homophobic for them before or since.

In the early 90s? I was at Morehouse clowning the "faggot" in the Glee Club with me because I didn't know any better. I was taught it was alien, that it made you less of a man and that it was a betrayal. Not by my parents...but DEFINITELY by my peers who shaped my worldview. Mind you, dude I was clowning was COOLER than a fan...but I wasn't comfortable enough with myself and my own views to discover that until MUCH later.

As I got older, I got wiser. I'm no longer as quick to call someone a faggot or other sexual preference slur. But I had to learn that, b. It wasn't something I was taught.

As a matter of fact...the only person I regularly use slurs with is tREBLEFREE'S faggot ass because HE KNOWS I'm joking and I'd give my life for him in a heartbeat.

Don't know if that helps...but I felt it was important to share.

D