Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI don't mean to speak for SoWhat
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2971418&mesg_id=2971436
2971436, I don't mean to speak for SoWhat
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Aug-22-16 10:32 PM
But what if Eminem had dropped the N-Word in a rhyme? Some black people might let it slide, but the vast majority would take issue with that and at the very least think less of him.

Even though racism was more overt and direct in last century, it's still difficult to read books where white authors decided to use the word 'nigger' even if its used as satire or to critique the characters using the word.

It's true that our society is now less tolerant of homophobia and that 90s hip-hop was really hardcore and in some cases hateful, but it doesn't mean that they ought to get passes because of the times the musicians created their art.

My own tastes tend to side towards artists who are inclusive, but I'm learning that even some of my favorite acts have traits to their music, that as a middle-aged man, I can't clap for anymore.

I know I've made comments or had attitudes back in the 90's which are unacceptable now. Thankfully none of those are recorded or on the Internet, but it's okay if someone pointed out when I was wrong. It would only be fair of them to say something.

I try to accept that the music musicians make is amazing and allow for people, like Common and Tribe, to grow from their mistakes but also critique them for having intolerant attitudes.