Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectPE/Bomb Squad’s lack of influence is what makes them so dope
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2967619&mesg_id=2967619
2967619, PE/Bomb Squad’s lack of influence is what makes them so dope
Posted by Zarathuckya, Mon Jun-13-16 02:41 AM
I’ve heard it stated around here before that PE and the Bomb Squad have had little in the way of influence in terms of people copying or being influenced by their production style, and or social commentary.

Just speaking on the first of those, the Bomb Squad’s style of production – perhaps the reason so few have copied that style is firstly because it’s such a hard style to master.

Another reason no doubt is that the sampling laws made that more difficult. But that didn’t stop people sampling at all. So PE’s style could technically still be achieved; nevertheless, people didn’t go there.

So what I’m saying is its works of art like that, that do some shit that is so original that it is un-biteable, say Saafir’s whole style, or Freestyle Fellowship, ODB, Cappadonna on Winter Warz – the stuff hasn’t been replicated – some of that should be held up as much as those whose influence is easily observed, e.g. Dilla and his impact on drum programming etc.

I digressed a bit but what I’m trying to say is that the Bomb Squad/PE is up there with Dilla and Primo etc, despite PE’s lesser influence.

Actually, come to think of it, the fact that so few picked up on social commentary based hip hop, or did it to the extent that PE did - that lack of influence shouldn't be seen as a strike against PE. That's a strike against everyone else really; and it's a further reason why PE is the shit.

Their lack of influence, musically and subject matter wise, it what makes them one of the illest ever.

I saw this presentation by Hank Shocklee which inspired this post:

Hank Shocklee: Musical Influences on the Makings of Public Enemy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbOE_FJ6Oo8