Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThat's why you buy the exclusive license.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2966141&mesg_id=2966160
2966160, That's why you buy the exclusive license.
Posted by Remedial, Fri May-20-16 06:45 AM
>I mean, sucks their version has a lot of meaning to them and
>this caught them off guard, but other than floating their song
>out as a freebee it's not their joint anymore (I assume).
>
>I don't really understand what they were thinking about the
>more I think about it. You put all this work into a song but
>the music is only yours to rock with for a limited amount of
>time. Once your subscription is up you have no claim to the
>music anymore.
>
>
Leasing usually doesn't give you an exact period of time for using the beat. But if you don't purchase the exclusive license, the contract normally states the beat can be sold to other artists and that if an exclusive license is sold, he beat is now under ownership of the purchaser of the exclusive license. So, if you and I lease a beat and no one ever purchases the exclusive license, we can rock on with it until perpetuity.

All comes down to cats wanting to be cheap. It's the same thing like going into the clearance store and buying the poly blend winter coat rather than the wool joints, winter comes around and you realize the coat ain't keeping you warm enough and then your salty at the next man who's looking all comfy in the wool coat that you passed on.

Moral of the story is, don't be cheap. Especially when most exclusive licenses are only double or at most quadruple what the lease price is. And which leasing prices usually running from $10-$100, if you made a song that is the centerpiece of your album, just pass on this month's J's and buy the cot damn beat.