Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectOk lol, so now that the misogynoir has been exposed & shouted
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2963507&mesg_id=2964032
2964032, Ok lol, so now that the misogynoir has been exposed & shouted
Posted by no_i_cant_dance, Wed Apr-27-16 11:59 AM
down...let's get in formation & discuss/critique Lemonade!

So, the visuals of Lemonade....

I mean, I definitely saw the connection between "Formation" & the final product Lemonade. Daniel Older said Beyoncé took the essence of the great (African) American novel & made it into a visual music album...I agree. I definitely see the influence of Their Eyes Were Watching God (Janet Mock expands upon this connection in her review), Sula, & Beloved all up & thru Lemonade.

Also, Black women from the diaspora/our traditions of spirituality VERY present. Beyoncé recites Warsaw Shire's (fat & Black & perfect & Kenyan born & Somali & UK resident) genius poetic words as interludes between the 11 chapters of Lemonade. Now, my great great grandma Yoruba but I am not knowledgeable about it so...hard pass lol but I do wanna learn about the Black conjure woman (suggestions, anyone?) that appears to be very central in the story.

This is actually one critique I had about the visuals of Lemonade. Why were there no visual representations of fat Black women in the sisterhood, avant garde performative moments? I wanted to see the lovely & talented Gabourey Sidibe at the table too! Also, no visibly physically disabled folks (perhaps the Leah Chase?).
I did LOVE that various representations of Black love were shown during "All Night."

Next up, the music...