Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNew DJ Quik and Problem - Rosecrans
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2963053
2963053, New DJ Quik and Problem - Rosecrans
Posted by ry 213, Wed Apr-20-16 12:58 PM
This came out today, it's a 6 song EP collaboration. The production is really smooth, it makes you feel like you are cruising Rosecrans in a 64 Impala on a sunny LA afternoon. Quik takes it back to his old style with lots of smooth funk. The beat on A New Nite turns into Rosecrans Groove, a 5 minute funky instrumental with live guitar. I have this a few listens already today and Quik fans will LOVE this

1. “Rosecrans” Feat. The Game & Candice Boyd
2. “A New Nite / Rosecrans Grove” Feat. Shy Carter
3. “This Is Your Moment” Feat. Wiz Khalifa, Buddy and JP Cali
4. “You Are Everything”
5. “Take It Off One Time” Feat. Bad Lucc
6. “Straight to the City With It”
2963055, ......got a link doe ?
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-20-16 01:35 PM
Also who is "Problem"?
2963059, Problem is Terrace Martin's bro
Posted by ry 213, Wed Apr-20-16 02:10 PM
He's been around on the underground LA scene for at least 10 years and has released a lot of mix tapes. I always thought he would be next to blow up from LA, not sure why he didn't.
2963061, Thanks. Surprised I never at least heard of him.
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-20-16 02:19 PM
>He's been around on the underground LA scene for at least 10
>years and has released a lot of mix tapes. I always thought he
>would be next to blow up from LA, not sure why he didn't.
2963077, Eh....kinda hard to say. He almost had his lane in 2012 when he dropped
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Apr-20-16 07:11 PM
Mollywood 2. I remember doing a college party and 80% of the requests were for something on there....I said damn, he's about to catch YG.

Then...I donno...his songs just didn't hit. He put out a griiiiip of singles, and NONE of them ever caught on. Songs like "Say that then" and "Andule" just didn't catch.

I remember discussing him, Bad Lucc, and YG....and saying that when it comes to making songs/hits, the rankings go: 1. YG 2. Problem 3. Bad Lucc....and when it comes to who's the better rapper, it goes 1. Bad Lucc 2. Problem 3. YG. Feels like he's a good-solid rapper no question, but not lyrical enough to catch those heads, and not ratch or commercial enough to make consistent hits.
2963060, He had this Master P jacking song
Posted by C. Thelonius, Wed Apr-20-16 02:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09SUxS-_0dw
2963066, and Say That Then is cool, and was on the GTA V LA radio station
Posted by Nodima, Wed Apr-20-16 03:50 PM
Plus he produces and does a lot of behind the scenes songwriting from what I understand. He's one of those secretly papered up types.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2964517, LMAO it was an obvious remake, not a jack. And it brought Master P's
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Tue May-03-16 12:14 PM
song back to life! ESPECIALLY for L.A., where I used to play the original and NOBODY knew it.
2963068, Ahhhh you never heard of him???? Damn, I thought he was slightly
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Apr-20-16 04:09 PM
known, especially for West Coast fans.

I gave him a CD with beats back in 2004. He was almost neck and neckw with YG in 2012 when it came to the club scene in L.A.
2963086, Yea I'm shocked that I don't even recognize any of his tracks...
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-20-16 09:41 PM
I went and listened to a few today after seeing this post/being embarrassed that I didn't know him by name, and while a couple sounded vaaaaaguely familiar there was nothing that turned the lightbulb on in my head.
2989165, got a link doe ?
Posted by Original Juice, Mon Apr-24-17 04:48 PM
e40 f/iamsu, yg, and problem "function"
https://youtu.be/DsDyZNIkO6Q
2963064, thanks
Posted by makaveli, Wed Apr-20-16 03:19 PM
i'll check this out on my way home.
2963069, Maaan, "A new nite" is ridiculous. The whole project is worth it solely
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Apr-20-16 04:10 PM
off that.
2963074, RE: Maaan, "A new nite" is ridiculous. The whole project is worth it solely
Posted by ry 213, Wed Apr-20-16 06:00 PM
I know right!? When he bust out the vocoder near the end of the track I almost crashed my car...
2966108, I used that Serato Pyro app to blend the OG "Tonite" into "A New Nite"
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu May-19-16 11:56 AM
I went nuts.
2963097, Problem should be way more famous.
Posted by PROMO, Wed Apr-20-16 11:58 PM
2963104, The Super Mario shit on Rosecrans Groove is killing me.
Posted by shockzilla, Thu Apr-21-16 01:43 AM
2963109, hell motherfucking yeah
Posted by araQual, Thu Apr-21-16 05:09 AM
V.
2963114, back in 2006/7 i was an hardcore west coast rap head and i was pretty
Posted by Hellyeah, Thu Apr-21-16 07:36 AM
damn sure problem was going to blow the fuck up. not sure what happened

And as a die hard quik fan, i'm going to download this with the quickness
2963116, Missed opportunity.
Posted by Brew, Thu Apr-21-16 08:09 AM
>And as a die hard quik fan, i'm going to download this with
>the QUIKness
2964398, LOL! my bad
Posted by Hellyeah, Sun May-01-16 04:24 PM
2963123, This shit tough as hell Joe
Posted by 13Rose, Thu Apr-21-16 10:15 AM
Been missing some good DJ Quik production in my life. Man this is just so clean.
2964226, This is really good.
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Apr-28-16 11:05 PM
I think "Straight to the Cith With It" is my fave so far. I think Quik could do 2-3 of these a year.

I copped this, Safe + Sound, and Way 2 Fonky last night.
2965965, DJ Quik and Problem on Making Timeless Rap, Prince - RS Swipe
Posted by c71, Tue May-17-16 12:45 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/dj-quik-and-problem-on-making-timeless-rap-remembering-prince-20160517

DJ Quik and Problem on Making Timeless Rap, Remembering Prince

"I don't want Quik fucking rapping like the Migos"

By David Drake May 17, 2016

Nineties West Coast pioneer DJ Quik has experienced a late-career renaissance on the strength of solo albums like 2011's The Book of David and 2014's The Midnight Life, as well as collaborative projects like 2009's Blaqkout with Kurupt. His latest release, the Rosecrans EP with Compton MC Problem, is at turns adventurous, historically minded and just plain fun — a record which prefers not to follow any rulebook.

Problem has had numerous successes over the years — his single "I'm Toe Up" earned him a record deal, and he's appeared on hits like E-40's "Function." Quik, meanwhile, has spent decades as a performer of singular talents, a quirky experimentalist whose restless ear is unafraid of pushing against our expectations. Rolling Stone spoke with both Quik and Problem about recording their new tape and their fond memories of Prince.

How did you first start working together?

Quik: It was (Snoop Dogg's) Ego Trippin' project. I go and … kick it with him, and he's got Teddy Riley in the studio. He's like, "I want to start a production company with us three, QDT — Quik, Dogg and Teddy. And we're going to produce records." The first project was Ego Trippin'. He's like, "Quik, this is Problem. He's a writer." … They gave Problem his first big check and he was excited. He drank some champagne. (Laughs.)

Problem: I fell on my back, I kept the champagne bottle up. I felt so paid that day. (Laughs.)

Quik: He was coming down out of the control room at Encore, and he was walking down the stairs and he just missed his step, and fell in slow motion with the check and a bottle in his hand. Hit the floor like, Boom! And didn't break nothing. (Laughs.)

Problem: You know how they say you're never supposed to meet your hero because it's only downhill after that? This is one of the few times it didn't happen.… I came in there as a writer and left with one of the hottest records in L.A., "I'm Toe Up," and I had a deal. Just from the game and knowledge that they gave me. (Quik has) never made me feel like I'm less than him. No matter what the status of what's going on he's always been this same person that's on this phone right now.

Did you guys have a favorite record you did on Rosecrans?

Quik: I look at it as one big piece of work. But if I could only play one, I like "A New Nite." Someone had tried to sample my song "Tonite," a Top 20 record in '91. And when I heard it, it was so stingy, so lazy, I denied the sample clearance for it just because it didn't make that much sense to me. And I just decided that if someone was going to do my music over — I still have the original master tapes from that song. I also still have the original floppy discs that all the original samples and drums are on from the SP-1200. So I pulled it into the studio, spread the song out technically and did it myself. Problem heard it, came to the studio, listened to it, and was like, "I got something for this." And he just started killing the chorus live, no paper.

As we were recording it, these musicians were still in the studio. They started to come in, so it was like a party. My guys started to gather around the equipment, and we all started to just jam together, and my engineer, having enough wit, started recording our accompaniment. How we just jammed like a band. It ended up taking on a life of its own. Things that people don't do any more. Everything is so synchronized, quantized (today).

Problem: This is the one spat we had on this project. We only had one disagreement, which was this song. And me being the new — "You know, I think we should edit this track." He hopped up out his seat, "No! That's not the way we do things." I was like, "You know what? You right, I'm outta here." (Laughs.)

What does Rosecrans bring to hip-hop, in 2016?

Problem: The calls that I've received as an artist — Snoop, Tyrese — the fact that they say it feels so good to hear music like this from Quik. I got that several times. People were holding me up, like, "How in the fuck did you get him to do this with you?" (Laughs.) I had someone tell me "I've been trying to get a beat from this nigga for 15 years, how'd you get a project with him?"

This is the only genre where it's frowned upon to age gracefully. We're going to change that shit. I'm going to sample old records from old hip-hop people, and we're going to throw them together like they do in rock, and how they do in country music.… I'm going to a Snoop concert until he's 88. And I'm gonna be there in the front and I'm gonna sing them songs just like my momma gonna see the Temptations.

Quik: If I can add too, we bought records from good people that made records back in the day when we were kids. And these guys were old — they were old on the album covers. Receding hairlines, big bushy mustaches. We didn't care, it was good music. So when I became a producer, it only made sense for me to sample all of those great records that I listened to growing up, that my mother used to make me go buy. So when my first album came out, Quik Is the Name, so many people got paid off of the album, from Betty Wright to Herbie Hancock to Parliament-Funkadelic to Roger Troutman, all these people got paid because I wanted to pay them. I was paying them back for their music. Even Blowfly. This was music that moved me as a kid, and these guys were all in their 40s and 50s when they were doing this shit, outside of Betty Wright.

But for the most part, when you look at hip-hop today, you're shunned if you have gray hair in your beard. No matter how you sound. Like Ice Cube said it best, you can rap as long as you've got teeth in your mouth and a tongue that operates, you can rap. There shouldn't be no age on it. If you've got something to say, and you've got an expression, then you should express yourself. That's what our music was about.

And you lengthened my career too, Problem. To be honest. They was looking at me like, "Yeah, he's a legend. That's old school hip-hop. He's in his 40s now." Where do you go from there? I didn't get a second job. There's no plan B for me. It's all about this fuckin' music. You made it relevant to younger people. And the thing is, I don't sound old on the record.

Problem: The biggest mistake that some of the veterans might make is they try to sound like what's going on right now. I don't want Quik fucking rapping like the Migos. Let the Migos rap like the Migos. I wanna hear Quik do Quik. You know who's great at that? E-40. No matter what song he's on, you know that's E-40. He ain't tryna sound like nobody. Stay in your you.

Quik: I'll tell you what's creepy. It's creepy that now, all of a sudden, at 46, I'm having a resurgence and all my concerts are selling out. Everybody wants to see me now. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. But why didn't they do this 15 years ago when I lost my deal with Arista, when I really needed some fan support and love? My shows wasn't selling. It was almost like I was old news. And I felt that, and I felt bad. I struggled with it and I tried to fight to hold on, but sometimes if you're falling you do more damage to yourself trying to break the fall instead of just hitting the fucking ground and bouncing back up. I was like, OK, I give up. I'm going to try to take this job over here, do something a little different, try to put my son on and produce other things. And it's like, "Quik we want you!" I was like, "You sure you want to party with ol' Eddie King Jr.?"

Problem: (Laughs.) Hey man, "Eddie King, Jr." is a fuckin' party animal. Had my ass up until 10 in the morning one night, him and Wiz (Khalifa). Fuck all that shit he's talking about, this is a rock star you're on the phone with. If he's old, I'm old as shit. I get tired before he do. He's ready to get out there (laughs).

Tell me your memories of Prince.

Problem: My dad, he used to get tickets for anything going on at the Forum. It was the Sign O' the Times tour. Set time was at 9:30 p.m. We look up and it's 12:30, and the lights are still on. Everyone's booing. This guy walks up with a box on the stage. The light drops and it shines on the little bitty-ass box. Prince hops out this motherfucking box and the house lights come on: Zoom. Zoom. Zoom Zoom Zoom. We go, "ahhhh" and we're just going crazy. Everybody doesn't give a fuck about this two and a half hours they sat out there waiting. I heard he went until three or four in the morning. I had to leave at like two because I was very young. Dad got in trouble over the shit.

Quik: I was best friends with an A&R at Warner Brothers when he was making amends with them, going back to sign with them and put out records. We were in the studio together, and I remember everybody had a room in there. Prince saw, in my mic booth, my equipment. I'd been flying back and forth from L.A. to New York producing records and I had flight cases. He asked if he could use my flight cases to film a documentary, to use for background. I say, "Yeah," like what am I gonna tell Prince, no? Stuff's gone for about three hours. His security rolls them back in and says, "Prince says thank you. He wants to know what you want, what do you like?" I said, "Well, you can buy me a drink?" He's like, "What do you drink?" I'm like, "I drink Hennessy XO." They leave. About 20 minutes later, they come back and bring me the Hennessy. I'm sitting up here going, "This is unreal, Prince, my idol, brought me a bottle of Hennessy." I didn't even want to drink it. It took two weeks for us to drink that bottle. It just sat on the console, that was our conversation piece.
2965990, This is the eternal pettiness I wish he would let go of.
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue May-17-16 05:04 PM

>Quik: I'll tell you what's creepy. It's creepy that now, all
>of a sudden, at 46, I'm having a resurgence and all my
>concerts are selling out. Everybody wants to see me now. I
>don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. But why didn't
>they do this 15 years ago when I lost my deal with Arista,
>when I really needed some fan support and love? My shows
>wasn't selling. It was almost like I was old news. And I felt
>that, and I felt bad.
2965997, RE: This is the eternal pettiness I wish he would let go of.
Posted by jimaveli, Tue May-17-16 06:20 PM
>
>>Quik: I'll tell you what's creepy. It's creepy that now, all
>>of a sudden, at 46, I'm having a resurgence and all my
>>concerts are selling out. Everybody wants to see me now. I
>>don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. But why didn't
>>they do this 15 years ago when I lost my deal with Arista,
>>when I really needed some fan support and love? My shows
>>wasn't selling. It was almost like I was old news. And I
>felt
>>that, and I felt bad.

For these artists, I'd imagine that the first time the love goes away has to be the worst time. A label drops you since they don't view you as profitable. You can't do shows to get your own pockets right/keep your name out there view word of mouth.

It really has to hurt if you came up at a time like the 90s with some other folks and they're still doing well while you're hurting like that.
2966003, I don't mind it
Posted by Brew, Tue May-17-16 07:58 PM
Feel like this is the type of shit that keeps him motivated to keep making good music. And he's definitely doing that.
2989549, RE: I don't mind it
Posted by Original Juice, Sun Apr-30-17 11:35 AM
Right.

For example: Every time one of his sisters pisses him off, he makes great music. lol
2989301, that aint petty, thass real AF
Posted by infin8, Tue Apr-25-17 04:13 PM
you have any idea how much of your identity...like who YOU are..is tied up in your creations?

you sposed to develop the ability to separate...but humans gon human

I applaud his honesty.
2966139, Quik never lost it
Posted by SsenepoD, Thu May-19-16 04:09 PM
glad to see him linking up with someone like Problem. they made very good music & hopefully getting some shine together.

I'd love to hear Quik do something with Curen$y...make a career resurgence working with some "newer" artists on some critical acclaim tip.

2966231, He's made good music for a long time
Posted by makaveli, Sat May-21-16 01:41 PM
2966239, Quik and spitta would be crazy
Posted by illEskoBar221, Sat May-21-16 02:20 PM
2966242, Curren$y mentioned they planned to work together...
Posted by ry 213, Sat May-21-16 02:55 PM
This was about a year ago. Havent seen anything materialize though, they need to make it happen...
2966725, You Are Everything was crankin' all weekend
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Mon May-30-16 02:35 PM
Straight to the City with it too. Quik still got it
2966726, Those are my faves.
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon May-30-16 03:03 PM
They should do a video for A New Nite, though.
2966748, There is a video for New Nite
Posted by ry 213, Tue May-31-16 12:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnqOFu8RN0A
2966733, that's my favorite
Posted by makaveli, Mon May-30-16 06:35 PM
2988887, Re-released on 4/20 as a 12-song album.
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Apr-21-17 11:42 PM
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/rosecrans/id1228968197
2988894, Anyone listened yet? Not on Spotify right now
Posted by makaveli, Sat Apr-22-17 09:42 AM
2988895, the EP was okayish...but this is a nice ass album
Posted by Hellyeah, Sat Apr-22-17 10:08 AM
the new tracks really helped a lot. they even got dom kennedy sounding like 2010 dom lol... quik still goat
2988925, i have heard the ep
Posted by makaveli, Sat Apr-22-17 05:34 PM
Anxious to hear the new tracks. You Are Everything is my jam. I know that sample has been used a lot, but damn Quik makes it sound so good.
2988902, I literally listened to this yesterday first time in months.
Posted by Brew, Sat Apr-22-17 11:55 AM
Strange timing.

Anyway I'm excited to check out the added tracks. I liked this EP. Vintage Quik stuff but modern all the same.
2988994, nice to see AMG and Suga Free still in the mix.
Posted by araQual, Sun Apr-23-17 01:29 AM
need this asap.
thx!

V.
2989018, And there are 2 songs with MC Eiht!
Posted by ry 213, Sun Apr-23-17 12:00 PM
I think the new songs are nice additions to the original ep. I've been bumping this all weekend.
2989330, Dope as hell!
Posted by , Wed Apr-26-17 09:39 AM
Real bouncy as always. diggin the vide of this album a lot. Gotta check out more on Problem.

werd.
2988908, we need a Quik and Kenny cut ASAP !
Posted by Madvillain 626, Sat Apr-22-17 01:51 PM
2989306, Problem is underrated
Posted by mrshow, Tue Apr-25-17 06:51 PM
This plays like an actual album and not just like a padded out EP.
2989436, Central Avenue with MC Eiht....
Posted by Castro, Thu Apr-27-17 10:02 PM
2989553, Production Credits
Posted by mrshow, Sun Apr-30-17 01:23 PM
. Problem tweeted these out:

1. European Vacation (Those Pants) Produced by DJ Quik, Problem, Greg Phillanganes Additional keys by Kenneth Crouch #ROSECRANS

2. A New Nite/Rosecrans Groove Produced by DJ Quik, Dave Foreman & Kenneth Crouch

3. Bad Azz feat Bad Lucc, Dom Kennedy, & Boogie Produced by Polyester, Problem, DJ Quik Guitar played by Uncle Chucc

4. Move Something Produced JB Minor & DJ Quik

5. Rosecrans feat The Game & Candice Boyd Produced by Jae Murphy and Crew, Problem & Polyester Key Bass played by DJ Quik

6. You Are Everything Produced by DJ Quik

7. Chachi's Ride feat Britanny Barber & Bryan J - Produced by Problem Bass and Guitar by Uncle Chucc Sax by Bizkit

8. Take It Off One Time feat Bad Lucc & Bryan J Produced by DJ Quik & Problem & Jb Minor

9. Your Moment feat Wiz Khalifa, Cali Smoove, & Buddy Produced by DJ Quik & Super Dave

10. Straight To The City Wit It Produced by DJ Quik

11. Central Avenue feat MC Eiht Produced by Problem Guitar played by Dave Foreman

12. Funny How Niggas Gon Change Things feat MC Eiht, Suga Free, & Chachi's Choir Produced by DJ Quik, Problem & Jb Minor
2989638, i gotta check this out
Posted by justin_scott, Mon May-01-17 11:30 PM
looks good
2990518, Bruh, how did they improve on something that was already good?
Posted by JFrost1117, Wed May-17-17 06:45 PM
2990527, Cause DJ Quik is the king.
Posted by Brew, Wed May-17-17 07:58 PM
With that said I didn't like his last solo at all.
2990641, Suga Free is the best.
Posted by Brew, Fri May-19-17 02:31 PM
"Nah n****, my bitch on punishment/
I don't let her go to the gym and jobs n****, cause then she gon' think she runnin' shit"

Dude never ceases to make me laugh.
2990642, RE: Suga Free is the best.
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri May-19-17 03:19 PM
Bitch, don't nothin about you say "planned" or "parenthood".
2990653, Hahah exactly.
Posted by Brew, Fri May-19-17 10:48 PM
I love that dude man.