Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I just can't rock with this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2962040&mesg_id=2962077
2962077, RE: I just can't rock with this
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Sun Apr-10-16 01:32 PM
>Hip-Hop needs to get over this ignorant mind set of having to
>be popular or else not doing anything.
>

I agree fam but it's not me thinking that. It's the artists. Rap is ego driven and some cats can't live with the fact that they aren't THE shit anymore. They'll put out an album that's not received well and make excuses instead of just saying "I'm proud of the album. I'm not in my prime so I didn't expect the sells of my glory days." Nas is an elder statesmen who hasn't had a gold album since 2008 but he continues making solid albums and stands behind them regardless of commercial performance. He's one of the few.

>That's why I mentioned Oddisee. I know he's not at Kast
>level. But there is nothing that says Kast and older acts
>can't operate accordingly. If they're artists and need to
>make music then it should be about the music not about if it's
>going to sell or how it may hurt their legacy.
>

True but some people are happy just making music. They don't always make music for the public to hear. They make music solely for themselves. That's something that we fans have to accept.

>All those bullshit Neil Young albums haven't hurt his legacy.
>

Like I said, it's different for white artists. Those shitty KRS albums def hurt his legacy a bit. LL Cool J? Yep, shitty albums hurt him too. Rap is a different animal that can't be compared to other genres.

>
>Hip-Hop really needs to mature past this mind set. Not very
>thing is about sales and popularity.
>

Maybe not for us but for the casual fans it is and the casual fans are the majority unfortunately.