Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectTip is a lot like Arthur Russell in the sense that
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2962040&mesg_id=2962054
2962054, Tip is a lot like Arthur Russell in the sense that
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Sun Apr-10-16 10:01 AM
he constantly rewrites and revises his music. I've known people like that and they have problems sticking to deadlines because they always hear something else when working on something.

In the age we're in now, a guy like him having nothing to prove is in a good place to work at their own pace and let the music be what it's supposed to be.

The idea that artists find making new music to be a hassle or less rewarding somehow is both offensive and ridiculous as a broad statement. I'm sure there are people that operate this way, but I'd neglect to call them "artists." Of course I'd like to see less of the premature announcements and more of "I'm working on an album now but not sure about when it will be finished" or even not saying anything at all until it's in the can. But I'm not cynical enough to justify thinking someone like Tip just doesn't want to make new stuff because his old stuff is popular still.