Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectOf these, Vol. 2 is (still) the most enjoyable listen for me
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2959551&mesg_id=2959566
2959566, Of these, Vol. 2 is (still) the most enjoyable listen for me
Posted by self_ish, Tue Mar-15-16 10:55 AM
To my ears, that stretch of Forth and Back, Untitled/Fantastic, Fall in Love, Get Dis Money is more rewarding than any portion of those other albums. I would probably say the same about the first six songs (Intro, Conant Gardens, I Don't Know, Jealousy, Climax, Hold Tight) and the last three (2U4U, Go Ladies, Thelonius) as well. And Players is...Players. It still gives me the same feeling whenever I hear it.

I'd say Mos' probably has the best songwriting. Best production would be a toss up between Vol. 2 and LWFC. And best sequencing, I'd say Vol. 2 or TFA. These albums, aside from Vol. 2, mostly feature one prominent vocalist. With Mos arguably being the most dynamic, stylistically. But I ultimately prefer the group interplay of Slum, the looseness/playfulness of their approaches and lyrics, and the way they dance with the incredible production. Those other albums have better technical and conceptual rhyming on them, for sure. But listening to Vol. 2 feel like less of a chore, comparatively.

If I had to give my personal ranking, it would go:

Vol. 2
LWFC
BOBS
TFA
TOT (I'm just not that big a fan of Kweli solo)

>All dope/classic material but which one do you rock with the
>most? Which album has the best sequencing, production,
>songwriting, etc?