Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectOne Day has more or less run away with being my favorite Common album.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2957874&mesg_id=2957878
2957878, One Day has more or less run away with being my favorite Common album.
Posted by Brew, Wed Feb-24-16 01:53 PM
I used to say that Resurrection, Like Water... and One Day... were top 3 and interchangeable but in the last year or so I've kinda realized that I enjoy no Comm album more than One Day... and it's kinda not close.

Resurrection was his most rappity rap.

Like Water was his best produced, but lacked the potent word play he was known for (though it was still dope lyrically, to be sure).

One Day was his absolute peak. The production was tight and relatively risky. He was still potent lyrically with the word play but started mixing in the introspective stuff he became known for later in his career to balance it out. And the concept tracks were through the roof, which is obviously what this post is based on.

I find myself revisiting One Day...way more often than any of his other albums, at this point. Recently "All Night Long" has been in constant rotation.

And "Invocation" is just about my favorite beat of all time.