Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectTOTD…Common...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2957874
2957874, TOTD…Common...
Posted by spidey, Wed Feb-24-16 01:18 PM
"Stolen Moments 1-3"….Damn, miss brother Com being this creative/nice with it….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOvP8MibUwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfCfp7PdAi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szKnAwND4Gg
2957875, RE: TOTD…Common...
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Wed Feb-24-16 01:25 PM
Com at his best. I love ODIAMS!
2957878, One Day has more or less run away with being my favorite Common album.
Posted by Brew, Wed Feb-24-16 01:53 PM
I used to say that Resurrection, Like Water... and One Day... were top 3 and interchangeable but in the last year or so I've kinda realized that I enjoy no Comm album more than One Day... and it's kinda not close.

Resurrection was his most rappity rap.

Like Water was his best produced, but lacked the potent word play he was known for (though it was still dope lyrically, to be sure).

One Day was his absolute peak. The production was tight and relatively risky. He was still potent lyrically with the word play but started mixing in the introspective stuff he became known for later in his career to balance it out. And the concept tracks were through the roof, which is obviously what this post is based on.

I find myself revisiting One Day...way more often than any of his other albums, at this point. Recently "All Night Long" has been in constant rotation.

And "Invocation" is just about my favorite beat of all time.
2957933, I always go back to ODIAMS
Posted by Anonymous, Wed Feb-24-16 11:47 PM
Like you said...Resurrection is his classic, LWFC is his opus but there's something about One Day that makes it my favorite.

Right around that time I started appreciating more conscious hip-hop.

But the album is a bit of a mess. You know I'm the king of the Monday morning executive producing!

1 Invocation
2 1'2 Many...
3 Real N Quotes
4 Gettin' Down At the Amphitheater
5 Food For Funk
6 Making A Name For Ourselves (although the squared mishap is distracting)
7 Retrospect For Life
8 Hungry
9 All Night Long
10 High Expectations (came out 97 and maybe my favorite Com joint ever)
11 Stolen Moments (all three together)
12 G.O.D.
13 Lately I've Been Thinking (another gem)
14 Reminding Me (Of Sef)
2958024, RE: I always go back to ODIAMS
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Feb-25-16 11:57 PM
>Like you said...Resurrection is his classic, LWFC is his opus
>but there's something about One Day that makes it my
>favorite.
>
>Right around that time I started appreciating more conscious
>hip-hop.
>
>But the album is a bit of a mess. You know I'm the king of
>the Monday morning executive producing!
>
>1 Invocation
>2 1'2 Many...
>3 Real N Quotes
>4 Gettin' Down At the Amphitheater
>5 Food For Funk
>6 Making A Name For Ourselves (although the squared mishap is
>distracting)
>7 Retrospect For Life
>8 Hungry
>9 All Night Long
>10 High Expectations (came out 97 and maybe my favorite Com
>joint ever)
>11 Stolen Moments (all three together)
>12 G.O.D.
>13 Lately I've Been Thinking (another gem)
>14 Reminding Me (Of Sef)

Gotta have Pops rap though
2958025, True true...
Posted by Anonymous, Fri Feb-26-16 12:13 AM
Add it to the end
2957877, man, I wish Black Thought and Q-Tip dropped a verse
Posted by kelvinmercerlookalike, Wed Feb-24-16 01:39 PM
but the songs are still dope regardless.

some of my favorite No ID beats ever on those tracks.

*CROCKER*

word booty.

HSUBAKCITS

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/chowyunskinny/Gold%20Chef/iron_chef.jpg
2957887, RE: man, I wish Black Thought and Q-Tip dropped a verse
Posted by spidey, Wed Feb-24-16 02:32 PM
YES!
2957879, smh....
Posted by Stadiq, Wed Feb-24-16 02:04 PM
>"Damn, miss brother Com being this
>creative/nice with it….

Spidey, you cape for Action Bronson.

yeah Com isn't as dope as he used to be, but Nobody's Smiling had a few joints.

I think you would prefer to have a white boy imitate old Com over east coast boom bap, though. Maybe that will be the next gimmick and you can be happy?

Get off your high horse "ish", man.

2957881, I was gonna leave this alone but I mostly agree.
Posted by Brew, Wed Feb-24-16 02:22 PM
He always seems to have something negative to say about Common these days. And while he certainly hasn't been perfect in his later career, I don't think a 40+ year old can be expected to approach the music much better than Common did on Nobody's Smiling. He's not as potent lyrically as he once was (who could expect him to be) but he had some bars on that album, and more importantly the album was a supremely focused effort with a good concept and a purpose behind it. It wasn't perfect but like I said, I don't really know how much more you can ask for from a 40+ year old vet.
2957886, man, I said this almost verbatim in GD....
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Feb-24-16 02:31 PM
when it came out and damn near got laughed up outta there, lol. If you can honestly listen to "Real" and say it's not a strong effort from a 40 year old Common, then you never were a fan.
2957890, My point….
Posted by spidey, Wed Feb-24-16 02:46 PM
…when an MC creates such quality like brother Com did, is it unusual for a fan to expect a similar/comparable level of quality in his releases? Com is cut from the MC cloth, a peer of Black Thought and Pharoahe Monch, who still come intense with it. Is it unusual for a fan to have a similar expectation of the brother formally known as Sense? Peace and Love to all….
2957892, No, I think it's unusual to ignore the fact that he *is*...
Posted by Brew, Wed Feb-24-16 02:50 PM
...dropping a lot of that type of quality music, but you for some reason just dismiss it or ignore it.

If he were making album after album of "UMC"-type music I'd understand where you were coming from. But Both "The Dreamer..." and "Nobody's Smiling" had PLENTY of lyrical moments for you to grasp onto, on top of the fact that NS was a concept album with a singular, focused purpose. But for some reason you can't see that. Of course neither of his past two albums match his Resurrection/One Day/Like Water-type output. But neither does Black Thought's recent work match his Illadelph/Things Fall Apart/Game Theory-type output, yet you still champion him.

That's what's confusing about your constant Common criticism. It's totally unfounded, and inconsistent.
2957894, RE: No, I think it's unusual to ignore the fact that he *is*...
Posted by spidey, Wed Feb-24-16 03:03 PM
Please don't say "constant Common criticism", cause I ain't attacking dude like that….We disagree on the quality of his output, and it's ok, we have differing opinions. This post is about appreciating the "Stolen Moments" tracks, let's keep it peace and love...
2957882, gotta agree with you on Nobody's Smiling...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Feb-24-16 02:24 PM
it's a nice album that I play semi-regularly. All that other stuff, man...chiiillll (c)Uncle L.
2957893, RE: smh....
Posted by spidey, Wed Feb-24-16 02:53 PM
Actually, was hoping for a South Korean Common type to arrive soon with some hot bar type introspective ish…I can only dream….