Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIt's ....... different. Weird. But I like a lot of it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2950525&mesg_id=2971857
2971857, It's ....... different. Weird. But I like a lot of it.
Posted by Brew, Fri Aug-26-16 09:24 AM
Copied from post in GD:

My main gripes are:

- Lord Intended: I hate the electric guitar. Not a good fit. Felt like it was a waste of some really good, aggressive lyricism
- Property of Spitkicker.com: pretty boring, don't hate it just didn't love it
- Snoopies & Drawn: the beats, once they picked up, were fire. Wish those parts were longer. I enjoyed David Byrne and Little Dragon's parts, but they both should have been WAY shorter to make room for the more upbeat parts and more lyrics from the guys
- Here In After - loved the concept and lyrics, but didn't love the Kings of Leon feel to the music

On a macro level my biggest complaint is NOT ENOUGH DE LA. And more specifically, not NEARLY enough Pos. Dave stole the show IMO during the minimal time either were actually rapping. As much as I enjoyed a lot of the album, I'm honestly kind of confused as to the direction they went with it. It's almost as if Dave and Pos took a *major* backseat on their own album. Almost none of the lyricism made me jump out of my seat, which is something I could always count on De La for.

My other complaint is one already lodged by someone in here, the overall mood is just too lowkey/somber. There were 2 or 3 songs that could be considered upbeat, but even those lacked any significant hype or excitement.

Other than the above, there's a lot to like here and I'll have to take some more time to take in the lyrics (in the minimal time they *did* spend rapping, there seemed to be tons of little wordplay gems to decipher which I'm excited about), I'm just surprised and a little disappointed with the overall tone and the lack of hard-hitting beats and lyrics.

PS - 2Chainz' verse is fucking fire !!