Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWell Yes & No
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2946883&mesg_id=2946923
2946923, Well Yes & No
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Fri Oct-09-15 07:51 PM
Janet, Jimmy, & Terry heard J-Dilla's remix of Brand New Heavies' "Saturday Night", which they liked a lot, so since Q-Tip became friends with Janet after they did the movie Poetic Justice, so they called on Q-Tip to ask who did the beat and to bring over some beats and vibe, well Q-Tip brought over some beats of his and J-Dilla's they heard a beat tape by him and liked one of them, so they asked Q-Tip if they could use that beat and recreate it for a new song (which they did but I think all they did was layered his beat in the back and put some of their production on top), but some reason Q-Tip didn't tell J-Dilla until after the fact.

So later on after the song is done, Dilla sort of get credit to solve this issue, so Janet, Jimmy, Terry, & the label let J-Dilla & Shaheed do their own remixes on the maxi singles (cds & 12"), even though Q-Tip gets it cause he's rapping on the song.

I still think Q-Tip did J-Dilla wrong for letting Jam & Lewis cover his beat and not letting him get credit for it to begin with, but I also notice that for a few years Q-Tip puts his, J-Dilla, & Shaheed's production under the UMMAH name half the time to get work for the crew; like on the Bush Babies 2nd album, there is two songs produced by UMMAH and one features Q-Tip but we all know J-Dilla did production for both but anytime he did production he would get solo credit instead of UMMAH.