Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: they're tied @ #1 in my book.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2945420&mesg_id=2946942
2946942, RE: they're tied @ #1 in my book.
Posted by murph71, Sat Oct-10-15 10:14 AM
>i tend to prefer one over the other depending on my mood.
>but overall i can't choose a favorite between those 2.
>
>i'm mostly in here sticking up for Prince b/c so many have so
>quickly dismissed the notion that Prince's great-album run
>might've been as good if not better than Stevie's. i don't
>think the question is answered easily. as i said originally -
>my answer depends on my mood. i think their great albums are
>of roughly equal quality.

I'm of the mind u can't go wrong with either one: P or Stevie...I'm just perplexed at the few heads in this thread acting like Prince is playing Aereosmith to Stevie's Stones....lol

I mean, I'm old enough to worship Stevie's 70s reign...In fact, dude is THE '70s GOAT (He tops Bowie, P-Funk Curtis, and Jonie....His catalogue edges them all....it's impossible to overstate his brilliance....). Got every '70s work...Know the songs front to back.....

But if you lived through the '80s u know P's run was on some game changing shit too....It's like Basa said in an old post about P vs. Stevie. There are some folks that pick Stevie not simply because of his songwriting brilliance...They do so because of the "blackness" of his music....That's when u start reading shit like, "I can put Stevie on at a barbecue/family reunion...I can't do that with Prince...."

All I know is Prince was running circles around his peers in the 80s...He made people look downright lazy and still was able to drop classic joints that had everyone going back to the lab not to copy an outward style or a choreographed move....They were copying his actual production and sound....

To me Stevie and Prince are the Yin/Yang of the ultimate singer/songwriter/musician....One is earthy and the other is defiant....One is heartfelt, hopeful...The other is at times flawed and neurotic.....

Honestly though I blame Prince for some of the dismissive hate he gets. Because of his obsession with controlling his music and image the general public has yet to understand just how great dude was in the '80s....U either have had to be around during that period, an avid collector or true music head. Right now I can go on Youtube and check out Stevie's work. Can't do that with Prince....I can pick up a remastered version of Stevie's Music of My Mind...Can't do that with Prince....

That's a shame, really.....