Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectCHOPS15 Challenge#13 - Interludin
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2937260
2937260, CHOPS15 Challenge#13 - Interludin
Posted by _Torchbaras, Sat Jul-11-15 04:45 PM
I know I know, summer is here, and yall are too busy enjoyin that to be spendin time doin beats, still...

For those that are up for a lite round, heres:

--- THE INTERLUDE CHALLENGE ---

courtesy of herbiehowsermc!

Idea is to create a piece NOT meant for rappin, but rather to tie other joints together, or set the mood for somethin before or after etc. etc....

MAKE HEAT MY PEOPLES!!!
2937376, #1 as usual
Posted by _Torchbaras, Sun Jul-12-15 04:46 PM
Here goes, quite satisfied with this one really - I immediately wanted to add drums and write some raps to it so it def. hit somethin... You be the judge...

https://soundcloud.com/torchbaras/challenge13-interludin
2937393, Nah yo...
Posted by Anonymous, Sun Jul-12-15 07:30 PM
I'm gonna need drums on that there
2937437, Ohh your version
Posted by _Torchbaras, Mon Jul-13-15 05:58 AM
already got drums on it, comin rite up lol...

Sorry for the hold up, Ill get at you later man!!!
2937668, That sample was lush as hell, Dun!
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Tue Jul-14-15 03:31 PM
I'm a firm LOVER OF STRINGS and dem strings couple'd with the female's voice was G-spot'n the game up.

Good shit, Fam!

2938072, Preciated fam!!!
Posted by _Torchbaras, Sat Jul-18-15 03:35 AM
Yeah I fell for them strings too - been sittin in the yard, coffee and cigs, lude on repeat for hrs. hah!

You caught the layerin w the female vox, thats details - after listenin I couldnt separate the two layers myself lol...

Thx for the ears chief!

2938451, Wow Very Lush
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Wed Jul-22-15 06:56 AM
I agree with NoDrawls McGraw, you gonna need to put some drums on that shit mane, very mellow sounds like a Sade sample, love the piano sample, wow.

As usual I never listen to anybody's beat until I finish mines and wow, that was dope, but yeah we gonna need some kicks & snares on that one.

2938502, Haha aight,
Posted by _Torchbaras, Wed Jul-22-15 02:15 PM
...the pressure is on, gotta up it with some drum layers then...

A whole lotta piano was already in there, so I just added another layer to really get it goin and did some melodic switches here and there... Thats def. one of my fav parts as well hah!

Yo, I preciate yall takin the time and providin that feedback for my growth man!!!
2937673, Nahmeanz......
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Tue Jul-14-15 04:11 PM
A lil sump'n,
Da Griot ScroLLz interlude....
https://soundcloud.com/breezemedallionz/griot-scrollz-interlude-chris-wind

2938073, Nyce n breezy!!!
Posted by _Torchbaras, Sat Jul-18-15 03:41 AM
Your shit always on that laid back tip, never boring, thats ninjutsu balance for ya!!!

Tiny panned snare with the splash sweet, and the choir and guitar break too mellow, I can always trust you to bring some guitars into play, rare sample material!!! Solid how you took the bass out later on too...

Dopeness fam, pure!!!
2938270, Thanx alot, Fam.
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Mon Jul-20-15 04:26 PM
>Your shit always on that laid back tip, never boring, thats
>ninjutsu balance for ya!!!
>
>Tiny panned snare with the splash sweet, and the choir and
>guitar break too mellow, I can always trust you to bring some
>guitars into play, rare sample material!!! Solid how you took
>the bass out later on too...
>
>Dopeness fam, pure!!!

Thank you Famz, 'specially for the mention of Ninpo(*cough* without revealing too much....lol).
I'm at that beautiful point in
my production
workflow where I know EXACTLY what textures, frequency's, and atmospheric chromatics I want, ya dig: that true state of beatsmith-beatitude where you can mold-&-shape, ya dig. I'm lovin' every minute of it on the humble...
So dope to be in the prescence of other talented beat-alchemists that know EXACTLY what I'm sayin!

2938506, Man, that feelin of
Posted by _Torchbaras, Wed Jul-22-15 02:34 PM
really masterin your technique is EPIC,
Id wish for all students of the beatgame to get that feelin at least once in the life lol...

On some other shit, I heard some session of you jammin and I thought bout askin you if youd be willin to rec some impro jazz for me to chop - hit me back with a PM if youre down fam.
2938452, Very Mellow
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Wed Jul-22-15 06:59 AM
I kind of wish you didn't filter the vocals so much and turned down the snare a lil' bit but if you did that it would be so easy to rhyme over and it would defeat the purpose of an interlude but overall I likes, I played it three times in a row.

2938467, Good lookin out, Famz!
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Wed Jul-22-15 09:45 AM
I can see where you comin' from but I wanted the
vocal to be softly placed in the back on some chill shit while
the drums harass the whip...lol.

2937681, Wrong post
Posted by Anonymous, Tue Jul-14-15 05:57 PM
Nm
2938057, RE: CHOPS15 Challenge#13 - Interludin
Posted by kaiba., Sat Jul-18-15 12:05 AM
https://soundcloud.com/est-esp/surface-warfare-interlude

Threw something together real quick.
2938074, YEAH!!!
Posted by _Torchbaras, Sat Jul-18-15 03:51 AM
Love me some heavy compression, drums pumpin, verb fightin to break thru...

Also, I notice you tend to pitch shift a lot within the same chop, thats dope - its always a balance, cause in the wrong settin or taken across too many octaves it sounds hella off, but you keep it straight!!!

Good shit man!!!
2938455, Love The Horns
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Wed Jul-22-15 07:32 AM
Noisy drums, cool horns, and the intro with the "The Education of Sonny Carson" movie is dope.

2938465, Yezzir...joint was raw!
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Wed Jul-22-15 09:37 AM
Loved what you were doin wit the hats in the foreground, snare/kicks inna back. Very melodic too!

Heat, Dukez!

2938407, Here is something i put together
Posted by HeadNodda, Tue Jul-21-15 08:27 PM
i call it Fly by Pluto....

https://soundcloud.com/headnoddaproductions/fly-by-pluto

Thanks!

HN
2938456, Heavy Heavy Heavy
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Wed Jul-22-15 07:39 AM
I likes I digs, dope, very heavy bass and loop, drums are nice too, it's definitely an interlude but I can see someone rappin' on this joint too.

2938469, Yeah Fam, this is on some chill-recon mode!
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Wed Jul-22-15 10:04 AM
This on some laid-inna-cut scope-out somebody crib late nite
type headnod. Nice one, Fam!

2938504, YOO, lemme just...
Posted by _Torchbaras, Wed Jul-22-15 02:22 PM
...kick back and zone out to this - - -

PHAT bass and the organ chords in the back set the mood, but the guitar sprinkles really completed the melody on some icing shit!!!

Also, dry chimes was slick for details...

Dope shit man, and real different from your last entry, thats deep!!!
2938449, Here You Go: "IDLESpace"
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Wed Jul-22-15 06:46 AM
It's not much to say, saw the challenge and this past weekend I worked on finding a song to sample from to make an interlude instead of using an old track.

Anyway once I sampled, chopped up the samples, and came up with a simple pattern, and put some crazy effects & filter on them, I wanted to leave it drumless but I didn't just want to do that so I used the same ol' kick I usually use and used a snare from from my old MPC drum library disk.

Here it is "IDLESpace (Interlude)": https://soundcloud.com/djjoeyjoe/idlespace-interlude-okp-chops15-pt13

2938471, UNH HUNH!...(c)DMX
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Wed Jul-22-15 10:24 AM
Dis joint is just straight-up RAW!

Ninja came downstairs inna morning only
to discover that somebody done killt all
the CinnamonToastCrunch type shit!

O_O

Hotness, Dukez!

2938490, Thanks Mane
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Wed Jul-22-15 01:18 PM
>Dis joint is just straight-up RAW!
>Ninja came downstairs inna morning only to discover that
somebody done killt all the CinnamonToastCrunch type shit!
>O_O
>Hotness, Dukez!

Personally I wasn't trying to kill it just make a simple interlude, infact I made like two other joints with the same purpose and turned out to beat another dope beat so with the third try I wanted to keep it simple instead of building, which is why I made sure the bpm was slow this time around...btw thanks again for diggin' it.

2938505, LOVE the bounce,
Posted by _Torchbaras, Wed Jul-22-15 02:28 PM
AND the sounds!!!

Main synth chords was hella dope and gritted up nicely, and the continuos wave(s) of hi pitched synths made it ”whole” -

Main layer part two, or should I call it the chorus layer, that kicks in 2/3s in just takes this thru the roof... Crazy!!!

I was bout to say durin the Whirl Musik that that mightve been my fav beat of yours, but that woulda been too soon, THIS one is IT.

Maan, yall are bein SERIOUS with these challenges now, SALUTE!!!