Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectTyler has an uncanny knack...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2927074&mesg_id=2927745
2927745, Tyler has an uncanny knack...
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Apr-13-15 09:10 PM
...for keeping me listening to shit that otherwise I'd have no interest in. full disclosure: one reason I like his work, because he gets on y'all's nerves for a number of reasons. same with Kanye, et al. Tyler is, and likely will forever be, an over-the-top, obnoxious muff hugger with questionable, if outright deplorable subject matter, but sophisticated musical tastes. I'm cool with that, for the most part.

if this shit was released intentionally lo-fi, it needs a good washing, the mastering is super fucked up in spots. almost as if he's expanded his "piss people off" motif into the actual sound of his music. turn that motherfuckin bass down, b.

I'll see how it does on the Nike test and the Volvo test. not even feeling the album cover like that, either. but I have a feeling I'll end up going back to this again, later.

"Fucking Young" is a winner and hilarious. but... lol, with that title, yeah, forget about it being a "hit". Same with "Blow My Load" (goddamn, these titles). I really just like where that album goes after that.

and you know what, I fucks with that. not everyone's gonna be Kendrick, not everyone's gonna be Joey. Tyler doesn't really seem to desire the spotlight, and the risk taking (or rather, the lack of such that used to mean a quick rise to the top). if this motherfucker actually gets me to actually amend my begrudging praise of Pharrell's work to something less begrudging he deserves to be enshrined.

this album kind of reminds me of a way-less focused Yeezus. a real disappointment coming off Wolf, but still better than Goblin. Goblin wasn't complete garbage, but like Wale's first studio album, you already heard a lot of shit like that before from him it dropped, and better.

on the Tyler scale: not quite #GOLFWANG, but not quite #TRASHWANG, thus average. could be better with a little more fine tuning.