Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecthow far are we from corporations finally taming the internet?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2922700&mesg_id=2922700
2922700, how far are we from corporations finally taming the internet?
Posted by Voletta Wallace, Sat Mar-07-15 02:39 PM
you might recall some 5 years ago i suggested that there was going to be scads of "lost" music from the 00's.

mixtapes, singles, etc.

due to lack of hard copy + lack of interest to retain any of it once time cooled off the buzz it had when it was new.

my prediction was all that would be left of a lot of music online was a dead zshare link.

in the early 10's the american entertainment industry successfully killed most if not all file locker sites which had allowed for ease of access sharing of generally every album ever made.

the internet is riddled with abandoned blogs housing dead links from 2008/2009/2010.

most of these albums are not able to be found any where else.

p2p? forget it.
totally unreliable for a ton of music being freely shared.
torrent? same as p2p. dead torrents galore with added risk of getting a $10K fine or something.

and streaming online? foh.

new stuff: sure you can grab it when it drops - but archives?
even archives of stuff a few years old? nope.

and when we start talking about more off-brand stuff from the 00's/90's or earlier?

unless you know somebody with a huge 0day FTP/archive and got a password -- people aren't sharing for free like that any more.

in another 5-10 years, how we remember the internet of the late 90s to the early 10's will be no more.

...it already is now actually.

the full taming of the wild west.

already starting to look like bodie, california.

i wish i had saved more to HD.