Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNot Afraid: The Shady Records Story (link)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2922469
2922469, Not Afraid: The Shady Records Story (link)
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Mar-05-15 12:30 PM
This documentary is an in-depth look into not only Eminem's career, but also the careers of the all the artists' who graced the label over the years. First and foremost, we spoke to Em and Paul, whose partnership and unique friendship is what made the label possible. But we also spoke to the man who helped turn Em into a superstar, Dr. Dre, and the man who Em helped turn into a superstar, 50 Cent. With additional interviews from Mr. Porter and Royce Da 5'9", this documentary is the definitive look into what how one of the rap's greatest juggernauts came to be.

32mins 15secs

http://www.complex.com/tv/music/not-afraid-the-shady-records-story-ft-eminem-50-cent-dr-dre#ooid=hobTdyczqn5WqEbTJM3VEOgBlG92rBOs
2922479, gonna check this out.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Mar-05-15 01:56 PM
2922494, thanks!
Posted by guru0509, Thu Mar-05-15 04:20 PM
2922561, Best thing Eminem's been a part of in years.
Posted by phenompyrus, Fri Mar-06-15 09:28 AM
n/m
2922564, cool, i always wanted to know how paul rosenberg became a millionaire.
Posted by Voletta Wallace, Fri Mar-06-15 09:33 AM
2922578, amazing to see the era just before kanye's emergence
Posted by cbk, Fri Mar-06-15 11:28 AM
during the shady/g-unit reign, I couldn't imagine someone like drake, cudi, sean, etc. even making a dent. kanye really changed the tide.

I enjoyed the doc, btw. I remember going to the "up in smoke" tour (was that what it was called?) too, all excited about the nwa reunion...to bad it fizzled. can't believe how many heavy hitters were on that tour: warren g, em, ice cube, wc, mack10, xzibit, devin(!), snoop, dre, ren, etc.

2922581, Up In Smoke was my first rap concert
Posted by wrecknoble, Fri Mar-06-15 11:40 AM
I was 15 and blown away by the entire show. I had also never smelled weed before and I definitely learned that night lol
2922590, haha!
Posted by cbk, Fri Mar-06-15 12:06 PM
>I was 15 and blown away by the entire show. I had also never
>smelled weed before and I definitely learned that night lol

man, at the show I went to (Arco in Sacramento) they also had chicks in the crowd showing their boobs and clit rings. I would've LOST IT if I saw that at 15, hahaha!

2922579, really terrible documentary.
Posted by PROMO, Fri Mar-06-15 11:37 AM
i mean, well produced, but it literally offered nothing that anyone who has ever paid attention to Dr/Em/50 didn't already know.
2922626, agreed
Posted by , Fri Mar-06-15 03:32 PM
I staying up an extra half hour last night watching this on my ipad and went to sleep thinking I want my 1/2 hour back

what was the point.

werd.
2922583, The best thing about this is seeing Em still has a sense of humor
Posted by seandammit, Fri Mar-06-15 11:54 AM
Seeing that play out in his interview made me realize how much I enjoyed that aspect of his personality/media presence in his prime.

Overall I really enjoyed this - sure, it may not have revealed some incredibly obscure piece of history, but it was well-done and still informative. I'm pretty much a sucker for anything music doc-related.

Anybody else kind of annoyed how the complex dude is consistently inserted into these pieces, though? I laughed at 50's opening comment that kind of alluded to this point.
2922588, RE: The best thing about this is seeing Em still has a sense of humor
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Fri Mar-06-15 12:03 PM
That made me laugh too

50: What makes you eligible for this?

Dude: What makes me eligible for this? I am the Music Editor of Complex.

50: What the fuck does that mean?! (with the classic 50 smile and laugh)