Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectman
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2913456&mesg_id=2969863
2969863, man
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Jul-25-16 01:45 PM
This album keeps pulling me further in... I've had it on repeat for the last several days, taking it pretty much wherever I go.

The arrangements on this thing are ridiculous, and I love how chaotic they are at times. The off-kilter drums on The Fall; the slightly frenetic, dubby (?) feel of Gods. That sudden turn of a bridge a minute from the end of Hostage, short but unexpected. The long outro on Fingers Crossed (one of my favs on the record, for sure) that refuses to let up, moving from something verging on a dirge into something that starts to feel celebratory (horns all the way), liberating. The slight grinding fuzz that winds through the last chunk of III (is that a synth or a guitar?). And the way the horns seem to echo the main theme of The Fall ("winter summer fall"), or maybe I'm imagining it...

The layers throughout the record? Ridiculous. But also a really smart minimalism at work, too.

Have barely listened to anything else new since it dropped... it's got me in for sure.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~