Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectLol, I just don't worship at the altar of D'angelo, man. He's good and all...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2913211&mesg_id=2914331
2914331, Lol, I just don't worship at the altar of D'angelo, man. He's good and all...
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Dec-24-14 03:58 AM
but Aaron Hall doesn't sing him under the table? LOL. Aite.
Aaron's bonafied... man nevermind.
Nah but c'mon son! THIS GUY? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW48PHNA7tI#t=1m25s
And that's recent shit, cat is 50 right now.
Nah man. D will NEVER see Aaron Hall on no singing.
I'm not even gonna touch Marvin Gaye or Phillip Bailey on some "Reasons" shit.
Hell D' remade "Can't Hide Love" and wasn't even fuckin with Maurice White, lol.
(no shot, Maurice is one of the most underrated vocalists EVER, so I understand
D's struggle).
If I recall correctly, he had the background do Phillip's part.
ANYWAY, on to the rest...

>sooo...given the above, i still don't see how d'angelo is any
>more or less "derivative" than bilal. both pull other
>elements into their unique sound--to the same degree.

But you said when you heard "Charade", you were trying to figure out what Prince
era that came from. I mean, if anything lets you know it's derivative, your own gut should.
Maybe you get that often from Bilal too... I don't tho. I'll hear that some music
sounds like another artist or that one "Slyde" song, but the tribute actually IS in
the title there, unlike with "A Love Surreal". That's just title. Let's talk MUSIC.
But again, I'M NOT SAYING D' DOESN'T CREATE, AT ALL. I'm saying Bilal just does
it way more, even to his own detriment, imo. I'd actually like to hear him be less
creative and roll just a little more in the tradition of his forefathers and mothers.
I'd find a great deal of his music more listenable, personally. I often want to stop
Bilaling and just do what seems to give him the heeby jeebies.... something predictable.
D' does it, and I play his shit out. I feel like yall are coming at me like I'm trashing
D'angelo when it's quite the opposite. The discussion is who's the more creative artist.