Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI love how your post...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2913211&mesg_id=2913240
2913240, I love how your post...
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed Dec-17-14 03:15 PM
assumes you know the *real* reason people are going crazy over the Black Messiah --- not bc people actually, you know, like it, but because they "need something to believe in." Great armchair psychoanalysis!

But to your point, Bilal's albums have never come off as totalities to me... I've usually enjoyed them, but they generally feel like collections of tracks rather than fully-conceived projects. More importantly (imo) is that while dude is undoubtedly creative, his efforts at blurring or transcending genres can often feel a bit too forced, even contrived. Sort of a gap between his vision (which always appears radical in every respect) and execution (which never does his vision justice). He has a masterpiece in him, waiting to be made... but I haven't heard it yet.

I don't like comparing artistic output - the above comments aren't meant as a compare/contrast, more general thoughts on why Bilal has never reached *that* level of acclaim (from me anyway). Always appreciate his work, but he's never made my top 10 for any given year, let alone for any longer stretch of time... but hey, different strokes.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~