Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectTOTD...Mood...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2900311
2900311, TOTD...Mood...
Posted by spidey, Thu Sep-04-14 06:50 PM
"Karma"....Hi-Tek!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u1NKH_LelU
2900314, this is probably a top 5 beat EVER for me, absolutely love it
Posted by CalvinButts, Thu Sep-04-14 06:53 PM
makes any subsequent use of the sample sound bad in comparison

and the song itslef w/ the lyrics is classic material, absolutely...Main & Donte killed it

Snakebacks is the shit too

Hi Tek is way underappreciated
2900335, He was on his way to maybe being a top 5 guy...
Posted by Brew, Thu Sep-04-14 10:32 PM
>Hi Tek is way underappreciated

...up through, I'd say, Hi-Teknology 2. Since then he's been largely miss. The beats on that second Reflection Eternal joint were boring as fuck. I don't know that I've ever been so disappointed in an album, considering what my expectations were.

But he did produce my Favorite Song of All Time (2000 Seasons) so I still have a soft spot for him and will always check out his work. Just haven't really been impressed with his stuff for a while now.
2900422, RE: He was on his way to maybe being a top 5 guy...
Posted by spidey, Fri Sep-05-14 01:55 PM
Agreed on the Reflection Eternal two joint...After hearing the jump off track with Mos, Jay Electronic, and Cole, I was hyped...heard the final/rest of the project and deleted within two weeks....
2900476, Yea - he just simplified his shit too much. Went the Dre route.
Posted by Brew, Fri Sep-05-14 09:51 PM
All his beats sound hella clean and well mixed/engineered. But they lack the imagination of his earlier work, there's too much empty space. Too much time spent making it sound sharp and clean and not enough time just making dope beats and filling the space.

Yea really the only two songs I ever revisit from that joint are Just Begun and In This World. Too bad too cause Kweli had some BARS throughout that album. Gone to waste.
2900336, RE: TOTD...Mood...
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Sep-04-14 10:38 PM
Album is so slept on