Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectgive this one time
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2899298&mesg_id=2900846
2900846, give this one time
Posted by thebigfunk, Tue Sep-09-14 07:12 AM
Of the three, it's almost certainly my favorite, but you're right: it's very different from both of the earlier albums.

I think at some point, it's one of those albums that has to be a devoted listen... put everything else away and just let yourself sink into it, from start to finish. He is doing a lot with quiet, with silence, and with a persistent slowness --- and that sort of wizardry asks for a great deal of attention. It's become a Saturday/Sunday morning album for me, the album I put on during those rare moments where I can just listen.

For me, the whole thing has come together like an extended suite; I have favorite tracks, for sure, but it's the album as a whole that gets me. And he has a way of playing with time, with the sensation of time --- of sort of extending it, bending it, making it float. See Our Basement, Bubbles, Beauty..., Asiam, and Ceaseless... ; part of it his knack for making time signatures disappear without the music feeling anarchic, but part of it, too, is the sort of poise he's working with: he just has a wonderful sense of musical balance.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~