Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectSchool me on Jean Grae - please
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2898612
2898612, School me on Jean Grae - please
Posted by Rolo_Tomasi, Tue Aug-26-14 04:40 PM
So i've just started dating a girl who when we started discussing music said she liked Jean Grae (among others).

I've done the archive search on The Lesson but where do I start with Jean Grae so I sound less ignorant than right now?

Why's Jean Grae not broken through to the mainstream?

What tracks are the ones to really get to know?, what collaborations?, which producers she work with? etc..

Jean Grae sounds interesting, born Cape Town to South African jazz musician parents, came to US at three months.
2898617, My fav stuff by her:
Posted by mrshow, Tue Aug-26-14 04:48 PM
her songs on Mr Len's "I Pity the Fool"

Attack of the Attacking Things and The Bootleg of the Bootleg EP are my fav solo projects from her. I could never get with Jeanious though.
2898629, Evil Jeanius - Jean Grae/Blue Sky Black Death
Posted by Soulroe, Tue Aug-26-14 05:24 PM
She didn't authorize this mix, but it's still dope.
2898775, RE: Evil Jeanius - Jean Grae/Blue Sky Black Death
Posted by spidey, Wed Aug-27-14 03:02 PM
Ish has BANGERS on it...still knock it...
2898704, "This week" will have you bopping your head
Posted by jeanlouis61, Wed Aug-27-14 08:48 AM
great album, before the Jeanius album.

She never broke because she wasnt a mainstream topic kind of lady. I mean look at the "Taco Day" video for what I mean. The Jeanius album touched on her own abortions and shit, and was an album that was shleved for years. I also think that she has never had the proper label situation. But that is what Natural Resource was(when she was What What?) . Rooted in the underground to forever stay.

supposedly she is going to stop touring all together.

2898706, you are missing an opportunity to connect with the girl you're dating
Posted by mwasi kitoko, Wed Aug-27-14 09:06 AM
you should have her school you on jean grae
I'm sure she'd be glad to!

2898710, ^ this
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Wed Aug-27-14 09:32 AM
2898746, pretty much...........
Posted by jeanlouis61, Wed Aug-27-14 12:46 PM
hip hop aside, her informing u about a few things u dont know is one thing.....her reading you books because u have a 5th grade education is another.

2898848, RE: you are missing an opportunity to connect with the girl you're dating
Posted by Rolo_Tomasi, Wed Aug-27-14 07:39 PM
>you should have her school you on jean grae
>I'm sure she'd be glad to!
>
>

Thanks, I mainly just wanted a bit of understanding so I'll have a few tracks to throw into the conversation but yeah, i'm going to let her school me - and with her other music interests which don't really cross over with mine. She's a film buff as well as a serious bibliophile. Most of all she is funny. Somali heritage so she's got that cute Cushitic look.