Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectfeels like something's missing
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2893317&mesg_id=2905094
2905094, feels like something's missing
Posted by F_ECM, Sat Oct-11-14 02:21 AM
I love the music presented but it doesn't sound finished to me - like it's a soundtrack without its counter theme. Seeing the video for "Never Catch Me" helped get across what he was going for and songs like the "The Protest" reassirt that in a way at the end but the journey. To me this is supposed to be a soundtrack to a sort of brilliant purgatory/afterlife but there are no sonic ties throughout the album to ground me as a listener for the full duration. So many disjointed ideas that somehow seem to linger in one mood without any real melody. I say this as someone who appreciates free jazz and would love to see it implemented more with an electronic mindset, but this album lacks melodic grounding. Even the greats of free jazz knew to have some thematic grounding AND emotional fluidity.

I appreciate his vision but he did not flesh it out completely IMO. Too much motion and not enough fluctuation of emotion aurally.