Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectAmbrose Akinmusire - The Imagined Savior Is Far Easier To Paint
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2889075
2889075, Ambrose Akinmusire - The Imagined Savior Is Far Easier To Paint
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Jun-16-14 11:20 AM
Whoa - no posts on this album? It's been a steady morning album for me since its release in March. Akinmusire is one of the most interesting major label jazz artists I can think of right now... paradoxically both traditional and iconoclastic in sound, almost bridging "new" classical characteristics with a range of canonical jazz structures and approaches. That connection comes out, too, in personnel: vocalist Theo Bleckman, a minor new classical star, is featured on this album, as is a modern-leaning, genre-bending classical string quartet, the Osso String Quartet.

Whatever influences you identify, the album is engaging and difficult and pays huge dividends to the careful listener.

A couple stand-out tracks from the new one:

"Our Basement" feat. Becca Stevens (another one of my favs right now, also featured on Jose James' new album) - http://youtu.be/1Y8-z9rXcZA

No link for this one, but check out "The Beauty of Dissolving Portraits" on Spotify/Rdio/whatever - Strikingly beautiful piece: strings, trumpet, flute weave in and out of each other in long, almost droning phrases. One part Morton feldman, one part In a Silent Way. First time I heard this I think I hit repeat like three times.

Second track from the album - "As We Fight" - http://youtu.be/093kCKk-Jcw

Hope some folks check it out.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
2889110, Fan of his first two albums, didn't know he had a new one
Posted by Wordman, Mon Jun-16-14 05:52 PM
Will check it out.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
2889119, I had put this on my list to check out... thanks for the reminder
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Jun-16-14 08:51 PM
I'll be back.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2889139, 'Our Basement' has been one of my fav songs of the year...
Posted by Af-1, Tue Jun-17-14 03:38 AM
Really incredible. I have to look up Becca Stevens as I'd love to get an album from her - I imagine one is due if not out already?
2889140, two albums that I know of
Posted by thebigfunk, Tue Jun-17-14 05:29 AM
Weightless (2011) and Tea Bye Sea (2008?). Tea Bye Sea is on Rdio/Spotify; I had to purchase Weightless to hear it... both are great albums, but Weightless is definitely the more mature of the two.

She plays a few different stringed instruments, really really talented ... and her voice is just amazing.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
2889142, Dang, I got some catching up to do...
Posted by Af-1, Tue Jun-17-14 06:05 AM
I honestly figured she was brand new so I look forward to digging through the past stuff.
Thanks for the info!