Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subject"irrelevant" watch: lil jojo's career
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2880974
2880974, "irrelevant" watch: lil jojo's career
Posted by bruce bammer, Wed Apr-16-14 06:06 AM
about a week ago lil reese released a song entitled "irrelevant" (yes, that's the actual title), which presently has "7,910,928" views on wshh but for inexplicable reasons has only been able to only scratch together less than 40k views on youtube. (click farms aren't cheap?)

a very big jump from being the featured act on the biggest rap song of 2012.

but have you noticed various luminary blogs that cater to white casual fans like p4k don't (won't?) cover lil reese (and also in many cases keef) after he had lil jojo murdered?

little to no coverage = little to no penetration of some important markets/demographics and the trickle down effect they have

reese is signed to def jam, but in honesty, i won't be surprised if we see him get charles hamilton'd without ever releasing a physical product.

2880975, RE: "irrelevant" watch: did having lil jojo killed ruin lil reeses career?
Posted by multsanta, Wed Apr-16-14 06:10 AM
casual white fans don't listen to this type of music
2880976, so they've signed him to do what exactly?
Posted by bruce bammer, Wed Apr-16-14 06:13 AM
sell 35k and do 0 licensing deals?
2880978, RE: so they've signed him to do what exactly?
Posted by multsanta, Wed Apr-16-14 06:38 AM
maybe they knowingly took a low risk gamble on an emerging artist.

or maybe they're as clueless as you are about who comprises the audience for this type of stuff.
2880981, RE: so they've signed him to do what exactly?
Posted by bruce bammer, Wed Apr-16-14 07:09 AM
>maybe they knowingly took a low risk gamble on an emerging
>artist.
>
>or maybe they're as clueless as you are about who comprises
>the audience for this type of stuff.

so casual white fans didn't know, hear or patronize "don't like", the undeniably biggest rap song of 2012?

he wasn't getting coverage on p4k up until he had jojo killed in late 2012?

imo, i think jojo's murder closed a lot of doors in his career.
just from standpoint that some outlets like a p4k, will seemingly no longer laud nor even cover his music.

maybe i'm wrong.

what do you think? you think def jam will pull the trigger on giving him a date despite the fact at this point he may or may not even sell 50k + generate little to no tour/licensing revenue?

it seems to me killing jojo, while probably getting him tons of credibility on Black twitter and with marks like you inadvertently shot his actual career in the music business in the foot (no pun intended).
2880996, "US" didn't blow him up, after that I knew it wasn't going to happen
Posted by micMajestic, Wed Apr-16-14 09:51 AM
He's not going to make a record hotter than that. I don't think he ever really had a crossover audience, he was only a somebody when he was standing next to Keef.

Lately I've had the strangest feeling.... that you were GOOOONNNNEEEE