Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThere's somewhat of a backstory to the song and the singer used.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2872619&mesg_id=3016875
3016875, There's somewhat of a backstory to the song and the singer used.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Jun-12-19 04:09 PM
I'm not sure if 15 told this story or if it's in the liner notes for the Homegrown compliations or TFA. But apparently at the TFA time the band was in jeopardy of breaking up or maybe being dropped. TFA was their make it or break it album. So, in order to prove to the label that they could actually make money from the band, they had to have a crossover hit.

Originally, I think Jill Scott was supposed to be the singer on You Got Me. I don't know if the label didn't like her version or if Erykah got on the album because she was more well-known. (I don't think Jill's first album had come out in '98)

So, 15 and the group did their thing to make a radio song that didn't completely communicate to their fans that they sold out. (the reason for the drum and break solo at the end.)

While the song was a hit, apparently someone at the label paid some radio company 500K in payola to get the song on their air. Crazy, right.

So, you're right that the song doesn't sound like anything else really in their catalog before TFA but they had to keep the lights on and for a song that's a clear appeal to pop fans it's still faithful to the band's commitment to craft and artistry.

Personally, I don't listen to the song much when it comes on. I'm just not into hip-hop/R&B songs now, although You Got Me is one of the top songs in that group. It was never a favorite of mine but I appreciated that alot of people became fans of The Roots because of that song and probably checked out some great music on TFA because of that. And the group got some Grammy love, which was dope to see.