Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThanks for sharing this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2872619&mesg_id=3016623
3016623, Thanks for sharing this
Posted by seandammit, Tue Jun-04-19 01:39 AM
Cool to hear some of these songs that I’d never heard live, or songs that are much more easily replicated with the current configuration (versus, say, when the band literally had just 2-4 instruments).

Other takeaways:

- 100% Dundee might just be my favorite Thought performance of all-time, so I was a little disappointed to not see that but oh well haha.

- I’ve known this, and I know this more and more every time I see this band, but Black Thought is a fucking beast. Unparalleled.

- you know what further drives home how dope Thought is? Seeing other rappers take the stage and absolutely pale in comparison (not naming names but I think it’s pretty obvious)

- another point that is not new or groundbreaking but it’s so crazy when other artists take the stage and you see that dudes who were once way more “successful” and killing it in the reindeer games are now doing cute little nostalgia numbers as guests at a ROOTS FESTIVAL. I swear, man, the Roots won, yo. It’s unreal and so dope.

- also interesting that the songs were mostly performed in their “true to form album” arrangements versus how they have transformed over the years (particularly with “Next Movement” and “You Got Me”)

- 15 had said this was the last year they headline the festival and I think I understand. This is kind of a tough thing to top and if they want to continue to occupy the festival space it’s going to get harder for them to justify the headlining spot (unless they’re backing a huge act). Atmosphere has essentially done this with Soundset, their festival they used to headline over the biggest acts of the day who were also booked on the bill. Now they just headline on a smaller (but still obviously big) stage while the current marquee superstars play the main stage (ironically I think last year the Roots played their main stage while Atmosphere played the indie stage)

Anyway, this seems like it was dope, thanks again for recording!