Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIt's their best album.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2872619&mesg_id=2872622
2872622, It's their best album.
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Feb-26-14 01:36 PM
I've already been listening to it multiple times since the 15th anniversary of its release was a few days ago, so I can share my thoughts now.

As I said in the subject line, it's their best album top to bottom. Best lyrically. Best musically. It also features the last "great" Malik B verses that I've ever heard. And many of Black Thought's best verses ever. It's their best known and highest selling as well.

It's also, for lack of better terms, their most "hip-hop," boom-bap album. I always feel like the perception of this album is weird due to "You Got Me", maybe "Act Too," and maybe it's proximity in release to D'Angelo's album. People seem to see it as a sorta "Neo-Soul" extension type album, but it's got most of the hardest, grittiest shit the Roots ever released. I mean, "Step into the Realm"? "Without a Doubt"? "Double Trouble"? "100% Dundee"? "Adrenaline"? "Don't See Us"? It really doesn't get much better for a die-in-wool backpacker like myself.

A few other random thoughts on some of the tracks:

> 01. Act Won...Things Fall Apart (0:54)

I mean, the half is a tribute to an obscure track by The Alliance. How fucking great is that? Dirty, muddy, grimy and all that other ill shit.

> 10. Act Too...The Love of My Life (4:55)

Manages to still be heartfelt without being corny. Love the musically of the track.

> 11. 100% Dundee (3:56)

First verse is my favorite Thought verse ever. And in my top 10 verses ever.

> 13. Adrenaline! (4:29)

Can't remember if this 12" or Jay-Z's "Reservoir Dogs" dropped first, but it stands as great intro to Beanie. So much potential and hunger back then.

> 16. Don't See Us (5:22)

Feel like this is one of their most-oft ignored singles. Great wordplay and I'm a sucker for those pass-the-mic-back-and-forth type of tracks.

> 17. The Return To Innocence Lost (11:55)

Worst song on the album. Embarassing to listen to now. I wouldn't even include it on my iPod if it wasn't for the bonus track. Fortunately, this is the last Ursula Rucker track they have on the album.

Bonus: I'm Still Out Deah.

Dope spacey revisit of one of their best tracks on Organix.