Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subject50 Cent leaving Shady/Aftermath (SWIPE)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2871519
2871519, 50 Cent leaving Shady/Aftermath (SWIPE)
Posted by 13Rose, Thu Feb-20-14 12:49 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/20/50-cent-independent-label_n_4823716.html?ir=Comedy

NEW YORK (AP) — After battling with his major label for years, 50 Cent has decided to become an independent artist.

The rapper announced Thursday he's leaving his longtime record label, Universal Music Group's Interscope Records, and Eminem's imprint, Shady/Aftermath.

The Grammy winner and his G-Unit Records have signed a distribution agreement with Caroline, the independent label at Capital Music Group. Capitol is one of the many labels part of Universal Music Group.

50 Cent burst on the music scene with Eminem as his mentor in 2003; his "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" sold six million copies. His sophomore album, 2005's "The Massacre," was almost as successful, but other albums didn't match his previous efforts and he expressed his unhappiness with his label.

50 Cent thanks Eminem and Dr. Dre in a statement.
2871526, How the mighty have fallen
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Feb-20-14 01:00 PM
2871529, It's just plain funny considering the shit he talked about indie cats
Posted by Clarence Clarke, Thu Feb-20-14 01:07 PM
back in the day.
2871534, Did he?
Posted by 13Rose, Thu Feb-20-14 01:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised but I didn't hear that. Indie is the best move for him at this point. Put music out how he wants, when he wants.
2871535, He most certainly did. nm
Posted by kwez, Thu Feb-20-14 01:15 PM
2871536, I specifically remember him ragging on Fat Joe for being on Koch
Posted by Tiger Woods, Thu Feb-20-14 01:16 PM
like "hahahaha fuck outta here you on KOCH. KOCH."
2871542, Exhibit A:
Posted by Clarence Clarke, Thu Feb-20-14 01:35 PM
http://www.complex.com/music/2013/04/a-recent-history-of-vicious-interview-disses-in-rap/camron-50-hot-97

On an interview with Angie Martinez, he repeated the "graveyard" comment,
adding, "That's where you go when the majors don't want you anymore"
2871552, Thanks for this! Makes his current situation even funnier now.
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Feb-20-14 01:54 PM
2871544, I kinda hate that I'm lightweight enjoying his fall from grace
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Feb-20-14 01:44 PM
Dude was just too arrogant though.
2871563, Over 100 million dollars in his account you call that a fall from grace?
Posted by 81 DUN, Thu Feb-20-14 02:09 PM
Never was a big fan of 50 but the man had a hellava run. Now the dude making redbox flix.
2871566, Just like 50 told Cam in the video, I'm not talking about the money.
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Feb-20-14 02:22 PM
He can have all the money in the world. In the world of rap, he's no longer a factor. He's at the graveyard now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DtTNKIBnjo
2871678, Cam owned 50 in that video
Posted by 81 DUN, Thu Feb-20-14 10:33 PM
But you gotta point. I forgot about that clip shit is classic Cam'ron. Curtis couldn't get a word in lol
2871537, he had an incredible run with them...all good things come to an end
Posted by guru0509, Thu Feb-20-14 01:18 PM
those G-Unit Radio volumes 1-25 are classic
2871547, Classic man
Posted by 13Rose, Thu Feb-20-14 01:46 PM
The skits and everything.
2871555, dropped from UMG to sign with UMG n/m
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Feb-20-14 01:55 PM

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2871729, Exactly What I Was Thinking When I Read It Too
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Fri Feb-21-14 07:43 AM
I think him & Sha Money just wanted to be away from Em, Dre, & Interscope so could call his own shots (well someone will still be above him but not other artists just a label executive); but what I wonder is will he be given the same attention money-wise when it comes to promotion of his future albums and will ShadeFM on XMRadio play any of his new music?

2871599, i'd pay top dollar for a 50 album where he does nothing
Posted by Fishgrease, Thu Feb-20-14 04:07 PM
but talk sh*t.

2871620, man, i thought he BEEN off them labels.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Thu Feb-20-14 05:29 PM
what was his last official project through them?
2871642, this would've been noteworthy 8-1o yrs ago
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Thu Feb-20-14 07:24 PM
but instead it's just funny because he thought he'd be the nigga to dodge it
2871703, He fell the fuck off hard..
Posted by jswerve386, Thu Feb-20-14 11:44 PM
Glad he's got good(somewhat lucky?) fiscal business sense behind him so we prolly won't see him on VH1 Storytellers anytime soon.

Do y'all think his arrogance got to him or just a lack of passion for his music. It's like people fucked wit 50 hard and then... Just didn't.
2871718, The whole game changed on him...
Posted by Madvillain 626, Fri Feb-21-14 01:23 AM
It's like overnight, the music that G-Unit was making wasn't hitting with the youf anymore. First Ye, then Wayne, then Rick Ross & Drake, G-Unit had already overexposed themselves by about 05 and couldn't keep up.

The Game defecting from G-Unit and the whole "a nigga get confoosed" phone call thing didn't help either.

Thug rap is just now making a comeback and 50 is too old and too rich to profit from it.

Plus I think he's just too loaded to give a fuck. Not a fan of Jay-Z's work this day, but you easily tell he just loves making music on a deeper level than 50 ever did.
2871726, I think both played a part... arrogance moreso
Posted by Clarence Clarke, Fri Feb-21-14 05:48 AM
>Do y'all think his arrogance got to him or just a lack of
>passion for his music.

He thought he'd always be on top because he's "real" or whatever and didn't
focus enough on the actual craft of making music. If he'd done the latter, he
might have been able to survive the shift in music, but his story, hunger and persona
were all he had in the end. The landscape shift made his persona irrelevant,
his hunger isn't the same due to money and age, and we already know his story.

50 felt like he had "it" and that he could stay on top on the strength of who he
is and what he represents.
2871741, 50's music never really suffered. That's the funny part
Posted by BigReg, Fri Feb-21-14 09:31 AM
Sure, after Get Rich his big albums took a dive and he started to become what he preached against (at least in his singles), but the crowd loved it.

But right when the cracks started to show he dropped Curtis and Before I Self Destruct, some of the strongest records of his career. He saw what was happening and effectively righted the ship. And at this time he was till huge (remember the Kanye vs 50 who will sell the most bet?)

His problem was that as solid as he was, he just refuses to stray frrom or update that G-Unit sound. All his recent mixtapes are dope, but they could have been dropped ten years earlier and nobody would have known the difference.

Meanwhile trap music, which he totally ignored and would have excelled at, has become so ubiquitous its a huge draw at dance festivals.

Yeezus, love it or hate it, hits harder then what he was doing in a much more easy to swallow package.

And the thing is, people fall off like this because they get stuck in their own bubble. But I don't think its the case here: lets not forget arguably G-Unit was the first to give Danny Brown (in weird mode no less) a big push with him teaming up with the Tony Yayo mixtape. They recognized trends, they just chose to ignore them.

It's a shame, id argue between G-Unit and Dipset they were the bastions of NYC's stranglehold as the center of hip-hop before that crown became Atlanta's.

Finally people can only root for the bad guy so long before they cheer for his downfall. Towards the end of his career him lording over his kingdom came off more like bullying then anything else.
2871750, ^^^Pretty much what I came in to say about Fif
Posted by Alphabet, Fri Feb-21-14 10:11 AM
The whole street rap landscape just on 50 right under his feet. And G-Unit just REFUSED to change their sound..

When the Ross's (which would probably go on record as 50's first 'loss' in a rap feud), Jeezy's, Gucci's, and the superstar emergence of Kanye & Wayne..it made 50 and his sound outdated...

2871754, Yup. And this is from someone who made music very calculatingly
Posted by BigReg, Fri Feb-21-14 10:32 AM
>The whole street rap landscape just on 50 right under his
>feet. And G-Unit just REFUSED to change their sound..
>
>When the Ross's (which would probably go on record as 50's
>first 'loss' in a rap feud), Jeezy's, Gucci's, and the
>superstar emergence of Kanye & Wayne..it made 50 and his sound
>outdated...

"I'mma New Yorker but I sound southern" - 50 Cent

Like he used to give very interesting interviews when talking about his approach to songwriting (hooks, courting non-nyc crowds, etc).

I just think he thought the fans he cultivated when he hit mainstream success would stay with him no matter what. Ive got one friend who's got good music tastes overall and STILL rides or dies for 50. Thing is, even likable rappers like Snoop had to continually re-invent themselves.
2871752, It's crazy because right before the TOS album droppped
Posted by 13Rose, Fri Feb-21-14 10:23 AM
they had Elephant in the sand and the Return of the Body Snatchers mixtapes. Both are straight up bangers. I just knew they were gonna take over again. I don't care what nobody says Rider pt.2 is dope as hell. Those songs just kinda came and went and I'm sure 50 was on some "WTF MATE" when that happened.
2871756, If you're a fan of that sound since the late '00's he's been killing it
Posted by BigReg, Fri Feb-21-14 10:39 AM
>they had Elephant in the sand and the Return of the Body
>Snatchers mixtapes. Both are straight up bangers. I just knew
>they were gonna take over again. I don't care what nobody says
>Rider pt.2 is dope as hell. Those songs just kinda came and
>went and I'm sure 50 was on some "WTF MATE" when that
>happened.

Like the Big 10, War Angel etc...SUPERB mixtapes that should have put him on underground hero The Clipse status...you would figure at least he would get that Cam'ron enduring love that keeps him in people's minds when he's not doing big things.

Its a shame, and while it sucks, I think it's making him make his best music..everything I hear from him now is flames, it's just nobody cares, LOL
2871821, artistically he didn't fall off at all hardly
Posted by southphillyman, Fri Feb-21-14 03:37 PM
no one gives a fuck about traditional NYC boombap anymore
which is what most of his albums/mixtapes are comprised of
50 refused to adapt artistically and got left behind when the kanye/drake and southern influence took over and made NYC rap irrelevant
2871793, Fiddy - The Funeral (video) LINK
Posted by bucknchange, Fri Feb-21-14 01:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l-9pGIDsyvs

old Fiddy back
2871794, not bad
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Fri Feb-21-14 01:38 PM
2871836, jake one nice
Posted by howardlloyd, Fri Feb-21-14 04:34 PM
if he produced more than a couple on the album…i'm in
2871876, RE: Fiddy - The Funeral (video) LINK
Posted by Tycredo, Fri Feb-21-14 10:45 PM
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l-9pGIDsyvs
>
>old Fiddy back
That actually didn't suck. Shocking.
2871885, but he been making joints like this tho
Posted by Mash_Comp, Sat Feb-22-14 12:22 AM
2871908, Yup. his mixtapes are usually quality
Posted by mrshow, Sat Feb-22-14 03:26 AM
He fucks up when he attempts crossover singles now.
2871896, Cat's STILL sampling Mothership Connection, lol.
Posted by Clarence Clarke, Sat Feb-22-14 02:11 AM
"Loopin' the same shits for a thousands years" - RZA

I ain't mad that the forefathers gettin' paid off it tho. That's wassup.
2871904, That ish was tough.
Posted by 13Rose, Sat Feb-22-14 02:51 AM
I played it three times back to back. Keep em coming.