Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I know, and I responded to it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2856906&mesg_id=2857278
2857278, RE: I know, and I responded to it.
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Nov-21-13 11:25 AM
>And honestly, that's not really the point. It's a video for
>Bob Dylan's music, not **that*** particular song. And I'm fine
>with that. They could have done this exact same video for "Mr.
>Tamborine Man" or "It Ain't Me, Babe", and I would have
>reacted the same.

Good that it's not a problem for you, but it is one for me. The interchangablity of the song treats it like it's disposable IMO.

>Because, again, the point of the video is
>that Dylan's music is timeless and relevant no matter what
>setting you view it in. So buy the Box Set.

I didn't get that at all. Well buy the boxset sure. But relevant no matter what setting? Nah... didn't get that at all. More like it was irrelevant in all of the settings, evident by the fact it could have been replaced with another song in all of them to the same effect.

>LOL. I love "Like a Rolling Stone" more than 99.5% of all
>recorded music, but it's not a song that requires a narrative
>story. The message is essentially, "You think you're all that,
>but you're not." God knows their have been videos for this
>song that have tried to capture the "narrative" of they've
>sucked. See: The Rolling Stones video for their cover of this
>song. This is version is far, FAR superior.

It didn't have to be narrative, but it didn't even touch on your take of the message. It doesn't touch on anything except playing on our addiction to TV. Sure there can be a round about line drawn there, but again replace it with another song and it still works so that wasn't the point.

>I don't even know what "viralist agenda" means. It's a video
>that's being used to help sell a box set, like all videos are
>used to try to sell albums.

Sorry I work in the field, where we pitch this type of schwag all the time. Viralist agenda meaning the whole point of it is to create a novelty factor that doesn't just make people want to watch but engage and share, then attach a brand to it. It is quite often off brand so as not to distract the user with the messaging heavy handed but at the end of the day the brand is pretty clear and they are associated with the cleverness of it all. Dylan is the brand here. No different than if its Domino's Pizza.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."