Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectLOL!! I just made the post.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2856906&mesg_id=2857264
2857264, LOL!! I just made the post.
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Nov-21-13 10:40 AM
I'm not completely on Austin's side, but I think the greatness of the video is being grossly overstated, and the targeted nature of it is being understated. This was a viral video from conception aimed at getting people to interact with the visuals not the song. The visuals are a nice commentary of modern society but I'm not exactly sure how they tie into the song itself. The song is almost a narrative and while admittedly I haven't played with it enough to know for sure, my guess is that there isn't necessarily a narrative happening in any of them. There's a stylistic attempt to represent all of the scenes as if they were playing out in their natural environment which means nobody is acting actively engaged with the words they are mouthing, etc.

It comes off as novelty which is the viralist agenda. There's concept in it but IMO it isn't executed in a way that goes above and beyond the song on its own.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."