Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectdon't flatter yourself.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2856906&mesg_id=2857223
2857223, don't flatter yourself.
Posted by thebigfunk, Thu Nov-21-13 07:11 AM
>That you don't agree with it isn't really my problem.

You haven't done *that* much to articulate your reasoning, so you really are just coming off as cranky and joyless, and what you *have* offered has not been very well-founded...
1) Yes, the song stood on its own and "defined a decade" ... it did not "need" a video. No one is saying it did.
2) The validity of point 1 does *not* mean that any reimagination or interpretation of the song is necessarily bad, does an injustice to the original, or dilutes its value in any way.

It's a fun gimmick, way cooler than anyone would have guessed it would be in theory, used to sell a new boxset. It is well-executed. It is surprisingly thoughtful conceptually, and surprisingly Dylanesque. It's not going to change the world. It might turn a few folks on to Dylan. It will probably provide a few laughs, a few mild epiphanies, and more than a few "uh"s....

What's especially funny to me is that Dylan is almost *certainly* laughing up a storm at the idea that there are silly, obnoxious purists shitting themselves over the whole thing... because you know, if there is one thing that Dylan has expressed a great deal of love for, it's the purist...

If you want to critique the video then critique it on what it is, not what it isn't.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~