Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectFirst off, A$AP MOB are trash...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2848340&mesg_id=2848580
2848580, First off, A$AP MOB are trash...
Posted by Remedial, Wed Oct-16-13 03:32 PM
Rocky did a decent job, but, it wasn't good enough to save those other clowns. HOW THE HELL did A$AP Ferg win best new artist?! The game is all messed up. I don't know WHO THE HELL wrote the review on the front page of OKP, but, the MOB DID NOT do their thing AT ALL. It was laughable.

In the cypher with the new cats, I don't know WHAT the author of the front page review was thinking either by saying Jon Connor was underwhelming but at the same time praising Rapsody. Was he/she watching the same show as us? Rapsody was OK, but she barely did any lines and was not very discernible vocally. Connor had presence, delivery, clarity and punchlines. I guess someone must have wrote some checks and other folks didn't.

Wax was good for an underground emcee and Rittz was passable. Contrary to what others may say, I thought the Italian cat was pretty nice. His flow was good and the rhyme schemes were on point. Italian, as a language, seems to fit rapping better than Spanish, French, Japanese and the others I've heard.

Now, the REAL killer is how the reviewer went on to praise Tiffany Foxx. She said like maybe 6 lines. What am I supposed to REALLY get from that? Action was also underwhelming, but, I'm not surprised because his style is not befitting of a cypher, IMHO. Still love his work, though.

Now, on to the heavyweights. Slaughtahouse killed it. Period. Joell did a nice setup for Crooked, Royce once again showed off his lyrical dexterity (although the punchlines weren't that strong) and Joey did Joey, whom I was most unimpressed by. I mean, he was cool, but, I've heard him do so much better in the past, he should have really put in work on this one.

With TDE, after relistening, Q was saying some pretty nice lines, but, that whole too cool for school flow just isn't befitting of a cipher. Same with Ab. Rock did his thing and was the second best of the crew. The new cat has flows but needs content. And, as for Kendrick, as we all know, he killed it, coming with a vehemence usually reserved for diss records. I wish he would have finished his verse off stronger, but, that's a minor quibble.