Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectBowls - The Token Jazz Hour (Dilla jazz samples mix)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2848073
2848073, Bowls - The Token Jazz Hour (Dilla jazz samples mix)
Posted by third_i_vision, Mon Oct-14-13 08:10 PM
The long-overdue companion to A Journey Through J Dilla's Rock Crates. Smoke it if you've got it. All comments welcome - enjoy the mix, and please share the link if you dig it.

https://soundcloud.com/bowls/the-token-jazz-hour

Here's another one for the Dilla heads - I've always loved the Jay Dee/Ummah era of his catalog and that was the main inspiration for this mix. A good portion of this set references his beat tapes and remixes from 1996-2002, in addition to the classic Slum Village/ATCQ/The Pharcyde tracks that put him on the map. All songs were ripped from 100% original vinyl, and the mix was recorded live with two turntables, an SP-303, Serato Scratch Live, and a mixer with a busted crossfader. Big shout out to Case for the artwork, Tucker & Bloom, everybody I've spun with at The Boom Bap, and all the DJs/fans keeping J Dilla's legacy alive.

Peace.

2848092, Gonna check it out
Posted by ToneNice, Mon Oct-14-13 09:27 PM
Giving this a listen, tight work.
2848224, My man.
Posted by third_i_vision, Tue Oct-15-13 01:45 PM
I might put some CD copies together for next week's party.
2848128, this is really good! thanks!
Posted by Mash_Comp, Mon Oct-14-13 11:17 PM
2848410, Thanks for checking it out dude.
Posted by third_i_vision, Wed Oct-16-13 07:29 AM
Glad you dig it!
2848414, Always enjoyed your mixes and this is no exception.
Posted by imcvspl, Wed Oct-16-13 07:58 AM
Thanks

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2848568, Thank you sir!
Posted by third_i_vision, Wed Oct-16-13 02:54 PM
I finally stepped into the 21st century and used Serato to make this one. It's been a long time coming.
2848428, really great stuff!!!
Posted by agentzero, Wed Oct-16-13 09:00 AM
would love to get a tracklist
2848752, Thanks! And about that tracklist...Waajeed are you in here?
Posted by third_i_vision, Thu Oct-17-13 08:11 AM
I'd say 80% of this mix is stuff that's already been identified. Some of the major-label stuff is as easy as hitting Whosampled and typing the name of the song. A few notes though:

The sample for the "She Said" (Jay Dee Remix) is the LIVE version of Gato Barbieri's "El Arriero," not to be confused with the one on Fenix. There was some confusion on that for a minute.

How many times did he use Gary Burton's "Sing Me Softly Of The Blues?" Just twice? I know Pharcyde's "Bullshit" and some track on Fan-Tas-Tic Vol. 1, but I feel like he used it another time.

He beat the hell out of "North Beach" by George Duke. He had a way of squeezing more life out of songs that were already flipped before him - in this case it was Pete Rock and Q-Tip using the intro while Dilla hit parts from all over.

The 20% that is still "secret" is a large part of this mix. Stuff from Another Batch, the 2000 Batch, possibly the "Something That Means Something" rework (I just found that sample last year), and ESPECIALLY (Waajeed, I tried to tell you...) the original sample for "Come And Get It" off Welcome 2 Detroit. It is DEFINITELY NOT "Orange Lady" by Weather Report. Here's a tiny hint though - he sampled this artist quite a bit.

I have enough to do two hours but I need to fall back from the Dilla tributes for another couple years. It was either this or Dilla Bot (my mix of Dilla's electronic samples), and I think I made the right choice by putting out the jazz mix. Thanks again for checking it out.

2848804, such a tease....
Posted by Small Pro, Thu Oct-17-13 10:45 AM
>I have enough to do two hours but I need to fall back from the
>Dilla tributes for another couple years. It was either this
>or Dilla Bot (my mix of Dilla's electronic samples), and I
>think I made the right choice by putting out the jazz mix.
>Thanks again for checking it out.
2848941, class is in session
Posted by agentzero, Thu Oct-17-13 03:33 PM
2848474, very well done as usual...nice transitions.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Wed Oct-16-13 11:34 AM
and thank you for not using that gosh darn airhorn.

btw, i bet you love Serato now! LOL.
2848909, Thanks dude! And Serato...man....
Posted by third_i_vision, Thu Oct-17-13 01:53 PM
This shit frees me up to do so much. Can't believe I didn't save up some $$$ and hop on board sooner. Speaking of saving up, my next big purchase is gonna be that Rane TTM-62. Total Eclipse brought his down for The Boom Bap and I got to mix on it all night - GODDAMN it was next level.

You know I still abide by the code though. If I don't rip an old funk/soul/jazz/whatever song from my own crates, I don't play it. Fuck downloading an MP3 if the OG vinyl exists.
2848810, best mix i've heard in a while yo
Posted by Small Pro, Thu Oct-17-13 10:57 AM
2848910, That's high praise!
Posted by third_i_vision, Thu Oct-17-13 01:54 PM
I really appreciate it. I made it for the fans who really dig through his catalog, and I know you're one of those people. Props on the Guilty collab, by the way. Shit is fire start to finish.
2849548, Up for the Pipomixes feature
Posted by third_i_vision, Mon Oct-21-13 10:23 AM
http://www.pipomixes.com/2013/10/the-token-jazz-hour-mixed-by-bowls.html

Love this site and always appreciate Pipo giving me some serious exposure.

Thanks again to everyone who's been playing it - the Mediafire DL link should be good to go for the forseeable future.