Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Cameo is better than Rick James
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2845367&mesg_id=2845576
2845576, RE: Cameo is better than Rick James
Posted by murph71, Fri Oct-04-13 11:26 AM
>HECK NO.....cameo fell off and started watering down their
>funk. Rick and the city band stay HARD and didnt water shit
>down and i like that. the first two rick james records kills
>almost anything that cameo ever did.....

This is simply not true...At all...I won't go into who is better because that's just a cluster fuck...lol

But from 1979's Cameosis to 1985's Single Life, Cameo was the cutting edge in funk alongside Roger/Zapp and Rick...The irony is Cameo proved to be more adept at surviving than a lot of their funk based peers including Rick (who started to fall off after 1983's Cold Blooded....)...it's crazy how Cameo and Zapp proved to be the survivors of that late 70's era when a lot of other bands were forced to completely bite Prince....

By '83 Cameo had already moved on to the new dope ("Alligator Woman" was cutting edge funk....Heavy on synths, a nod to that rockish, black new wave turn by you know who while still HEAVY in the funk...)

"She's Strange," "Single Life," "Hangin Downtown," "Attack Me With Me With Your Love" ect...They all came after 1983...Even when Cameo went "pop" with Word Up in '86 they still kept the funk..."Back And Forth" was THAT shit...

Underrated band to this day and they def. kept the funk alive along with Roger after Rick fell to drugs....