Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWhat does Questlove think about Elmatic?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2838982
2838982, What does Questlove think about Elmatic?
Posted by FilthyMcNasty, Sat Sep-07-13 11:20 AM
Because of the live instrumentation on the album, and the fact he's usually opinionated about these types of things, I would think he would have had something to say about this album. Honestly, I didn't see many "heads" respond to Elzhi's album. It did seem to be well received by the fans, and I know DJ Premier gave Will Sessions some respect for the beats in this video.
http://youtu.be/KYNptz4gm28
I'm wondering what quest had to say about this project, mainly about the live instrumentation.
2838989, I thought it was great.
Posted by Tycredo, Sat Sep-07-13 11:40 AM
The potential for it to be really lame was high (just trying to tackle a classic) and I think they executed it pretty damn well.
2838993, I agree
Posted by FilthyMcNasty, Sat Sep-07-13 11:50 AM
I'm surprised quest hasn't talked about this, or even talked about Will Sessions in general. Their Mixtakes was awesome too.
2839029, It was perfectly executed, lyrically and musically imo
Posted by kysersozey, Sat Sep-07-13 01:18 PM
2839230, ...
Posted by imcvspl, Sun Sep-08-13 02:02 PM

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2839235, this album was dope as shit
Posted by Kosa12, Sun Sep-08-13 02:09 PM
and is (kind of awkwardly) Elzhi's best work to date
2839346, that album was...and still is refreshingly dope.
Posted by DunDaDa, Sun Sep-08-13 09:29 PM
3002983, where do people stand on this?
Posted by mista k5, Thu Mar-22-18 04:57 PM
i still think it is so awesome.
3002984, Yeah, I'd like to hear his take too.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Mar-22-18 05:39 PM
Granted The Roots have literally made a career of translating traditional hip-hop production techniques into live recordings so he would have a great perspective on the project. Things that Will did well and ways the project could have been better.

Personally, I love that record. The instrumentals are available on Spotify so I'll pull those out every so often and gave them quite a bit of run over a couple of months.

The only work of Elzhi's I knew of was his verse on Little Brother's Hiding Place and I liked that verse so I was interested to hear the project. Elzhi spit flames throughout. I can't really think of a bad verse although obviously there are songs I like more than others.

I think the concept of doing a remake of the album could have went really bad but I think he managed to reinterpret the lyrical content enough to make a statement on his own apart from Nas' original songs.

3002996, Sessions did a great job remaking the beats live.
Posted by Brew, Thu Mar-22-18 08:03 PM
They sound hard and fresh. I specifically loved the "It Ain't Hard to Tell" remake. That shit comes alive everytime I hear it.

And Elzhi, as always, spit his ass off and flowed his ass off, all over that album.

I just wished he hadn't wasted so many years surrounding the album, if that makes sense. Like it was a damn cool pet project and I'm glad it happened, I really enjoy it to this day ... but it was sorta gimmicky and therefore we almost literally went 8 full years between actual, original Elzhi solo projects. And that's a shame.
3002998, I know Elzhi had some issues with depression a while back
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Mar-22-18 08:26 PM
That might have been a good reason for the delay between albums. But he could release more music and definitely satisfy his audience.
3002999, Word yea I know about that (mostly cause of the tone and content ...
Posted by Brew, Thu Mar-22-18 08:32 PM
... of Lead Poison) so I don't begrudge him taking some time to get his mind right and get healthy. Wasn't really criticizing him. I guess my point was just that, for example, I wish Elmatic was a mixtape, a lead up to a proper album dropped one after the other in quick succession. That way we wouldn't have had such a gap between proper Elzhi solo albums.

>That might have been a good reason for the delay between
>albums. But he could release more music and definitely satisfy
>his audience.
3003004, Agree
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Mar-23-18 02:09 AM