Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectfigured it out... it's a lack of dynamics coupled with limited range
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2838046&mesg_id=2846024
2846024, figured it out... it's a lack of dynamics coupled with limited range
Posted by imcvspl, Sun Oct-06-13 08:33 PM
she's strong as shit in her range, but because her range is so limited she feels like she has to put power into every note she sings. the thing is that those dynamic shifts help convey subtleties of emotion, so without them everything comes across same-y which makes it difficult to 'believe'. It's like stage acting where you have to act to the back of the house, but if you translate it to the screen it stops being believable. It's also why she's so effective live because in the flesh it reaches out to connect with you. on wax though you're left wondering is she for real or is she acting.

speaking of acting though it does fit well into the android motif as i imagine the subtleties of dynamics would be very difficult to portray authentically in a machine and strong talent which always comes across as powerful would be a great way to mask it.

incidentally all of this realized after talking with the developer of one a vocal syntesizer software, where you type in the words and the computer sings it back to you. Very interesting to listen to.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."