Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectafter a few listens, i think the coldness is too easy a target
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2838046&mesg_id=2841320
2841320, after a few listens, i think the coldness is too easy a target
Posted by GumDrops, Tue Sep-17-13 10:29 AM
she is austere, in a pretty removed, theatrical sense, which i think is fine, if the songs are really strong and melodic/emotional on their own (and sometimes they are), but i think all the genre-hopping hurts her a bit. it makes it look like shes just essaying styles rather than doing anything of her own. suite v is fabulous though. so is her jackson 5 tribute on its code. hopefully on album number 3, she finds her own sound, rather than simply trying on lots of others for size (no matter how well she does it).

the main impression the new album give me is that she is made to do soundtracks - its what shes made for. id love to see her do a movie. a rocky horror/purple rain/space is the place type of vehicle. a female 'brother from another planet'.

shes very unusual as a modern artist though - there is nothing personal about her, no gossipy angle, she just doesnt let you in, she doesnt lower herself to that. you have to love that, even if you dont love her. and even though shes working in R&B, her emotional tenor is so NON R&B, you have to kind of respect that. is there anyone else in R&B so comitted to this kind of anti emotionalism?