Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectC'mon say my fucking name... ain't noone freakout but me!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2838046&mesg_id=2841161
2841161, C'mon say my fucking name... ain't noone freakout but me!!
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Sep-16-13 05:42 PM
And you can feel free to call my freak out sexist or whatever, but its consistent and from on singular place.... how is Janelle as a role model for my nine year old daughter who adores the fuck out of her. My parenting style sees pop images passing through my filter before (or at least while) they get to my kids. Even when they don't my kids have the habit of coming back to me for context. So by example they love the fuck out of Dance Apocalyptic but have never seen the video (too much going on for them to properly contextualize).

My hyperbolic reaction post about Janelle looking like RHOA was me thinking okay how am i going to contextualize that type of shift for my daughter, who went out and bought a whole fit to match Janelle's black and white? Fotunately I was overreacting (which I laughed about with others in that post). I knew I was overreacting when I posted it.

Point being feel free to jump to whatever conclusions about me, but I'll own my shit, just speak to me directly about it.

Something I'll just drop here. My daughter loves Q.U.E.E.N., play it ten times in a row type love. She's never been a fan of rap, but this weekend she tells me that she really likes Janelle's rap at the end. I probe her to see if she understood the lyrics, and she's like nah. So we make an exercise of it, writing the lyrics down, highlighting the words (and people) she doesn't understand. Going to spend a whole week breaking it down and really getting into the meaning. That's what I love about who Janelle is in my daughter's life, and at least until she's a teenager I hope Janelle doesn't compromise that.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."