Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectOh we're talking about a game? Thought this was about music.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2838046&mesg_id=2838578
2838578, Oh we're talking about a game? Thought this was about music.
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Sep-05-13 03:16 PM
>She is in the NBA not at the Rucker.. She has to play NBA ball
>or she will be benched.
>
>There are only 2 ways this game works.. you either make great
>songs by yourself OR you get with people who can help you
>realize them.

Thanks for the lesson I completely missed the point of this music making thing. I think I got it now though.

>Nothing I ask will "take away" from anything
>she is doing. Her songs could and should be better.

You still haven't qualified that her songwriting is lacking. But now you aren't talking about songwriting are you. You're talking about something else like:

>My issues with her image have more to do with a lack of
>'connection' I think she has on the songs. She "performs" her
>songs but doesn't sing them with a connection.

Ohhhhhh so it's not the songwriting but the execution of the song. That's a different thing. Does it feel like she's holding something back from the audience, not really putting forth everything she can vocally to make that connection? Guess what....

strictly my opinion of course....

but that's because of everything that I'm complaining about. She successfully did it on ArchAndroid. Go back and watch that Cold War video and tell me she wasn't working to connect. Great ass song by the way. So what's happened since then, people pushed back on her to loose her image and adopt something more becoming of a star. That's the exact antithesis of the message. And so what does she have to do, she has to try to make that point clear to you which leads to a rehash of emotion on this one that doesn't have the immediacy of her, further alienating her from those with whom she would wish to connect. You see the circular trap of this? That's my point. If she's allowed to continue her vision without having to qualify it or change it to accomodate listener expecatations of aesthetics she'd be able to step beyond the rehash. Next album maybe.

>Take for instance Frank Ocean. I think his most important
>strength isn't the performance but the way his singing endears
>the listener. You 'feel' him.

*You* feel him. I feel like he's trash. But let's not go down that path okay.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."