Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectanother solid album
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2838046&mesg_id=2838232
2838232, another solid album
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed Sep-04-13 06:30 AM
Listened twice last night - will def purchase

It really is a lot like her first album in both its strengths and weaknesses:
- The first half is almost untouchable. I don't know wtf folks are talking about, saying there aren't any memorable songs. There's a bunch of them - clean your ears.

- Stuff starts to go awry in the middle, mainly because the songs start to wander a bit too much. Can't remember which track it was (Look Into My Eyes or It's Code) that seemed very aimless, melodically. This was one of the problems w/Archandroid - sequencing, and a bit too much filler that made the album a touch too long. So that's still an issue.

- BUT some great tracks to close with: loved Dorothy Dandridge Eyes, Can't Live, and Victory. Ghetto Woman is an obvious but still dope SW take (but she did the SW tribute on the last record with Faster, didn't she?) ...

Which brings up the final issue: a lot of this feels like she's covering the same territory as archandroid, stylistically. There's not a lot of change here. That's not a bad thing - it's still a very solid album, something that will definitely get a lot of play from me in the coming weeks. But this essentially feels like Archandroid pt. 2 - a few changeups here and there, but nothing esp. surprising.

Seriously though - folks who are calling the album trash should take a few more listens. There's nothing terrible about this album at all, it just doesn't quite meet the expectations that those of us who are rooting for her built around it...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~