Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecthere are some of my thoughts / ideas since this seems to be...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2832547&mesg_id=2834021
2834021, here are some of my thoughts / ideas since this seems to be...
Posted by astralblak, Mon Aug-19-13 10:50 PM
The only real discussion happening I the thread:

I've listen to this album about 5 full times now. Its flaws are not glaring but very apparent.

One its poorly sequenced, which is strange to say, because "tonally" the album is very one dimensional. That's not a bad thing. The numb dusty saturated sample based boom-bap is perfect for Earl's flow/style. But "Sunday", "Guild" and "523" just kind of disrupt the albums "predator rhyme" feel. Also Frank Ocean has no business out shining Earl on anything related to rapping, even if he is clowing Chris Brown

Second, there are too many damn guest. Being that hooks are few and far between and Earl only spits a total of 20 16-24 bar verses the album still has the feel of an EP and like Earl is a guest on his own shit. And lets be honest Vince has the best verse on the album. Also why the fuck is that Le Flare kid starting the damn album, in a way its brilliant for Earl not to be the first voice, but really no.

Lastly, with the shock content gone folks gunna claim Earl not exciting enough, but really its just him not challenging himself enough. For as much shit as folks talk about Tyler, Wolf is a damn good conceptual record and has dynamic flourishes. Doris should have been more of Centurian, Molasses, Uncle Al and Chum, and less guild, sunday and hoarse