Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectAs a whole, I'd say I'm more of a "Hip Hop" or even "Underground"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2825489&mesg_id=2825834
2825834, As a whole, I'd say I'm more of a "Hip Hop" or even "Underground"
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Fri Jul-26-13 04:59 PM
head than the average commercial fan...but yet I'm more of a "commercial/mainstream head" than most underground heads. It's a fine line, and I tend to offend both sides at times, even though I'll receive credit from both sides.

>>I did feel like a LOT of Underground music was Underground
>>for a reason...
>
>Like it attempts to evaluate a set of artists by standards
>those artists reject by self identifying as underground, and
>then uses those standards to say they failed to succeed, when
>that success model isn't what it means to be underground. and
>then:

All I'm saying is that a lot of that music wasn't enjoyable to me. I'd hear the hyped up artists that were championed online (rarely from folks I personally knew)...check it out, and be like "eh.....I guess this is what they like?"

>>and it shouldn't have been compared to 90's
>>Boom Bap just because it was a descendant.
>
>this attempts to disconnect it from history while
>
>>I was more of a
>>champion for Just Blaze and Kanye's evolution of that sound,
>
>this tries to chop the underground down by insinuating what
>they were trying to do was done better by those that went
>mainstream. Which again is weird because... well before I go
>in on that, do you see what I'm hinting at? It's a tad
>revisionist, and I'm wondering if that's just your I don't
>really fuck with that or if it's your intent to marginalize
>like that.

Nowhere near me trying to "marginalize" it, but here's my issue.

Many underground heads are the same as the "Real Hip Hop" heads...especially those who are fans of the 2000's Underground. And what they do, is put this era of underground in the same category of the 90's "Hip Hop classics" as if it's the only descendant that's worthy of praise. Some of these folks will even knock a Jay, Kanye, even Lupe, basically anything that became mainstream, without acknowledging that it's also a descendant of the same era. And my issue is that a lot of the Underground artists and songs material is NOWHERE near as strong as the 90's classics, which is why it's only enjoyed by certain types.

Now, since names would eventually be mentioned, here's some "Underground" artists who I am not referring to, and who I enjoyed just as much or more than Mainstream artists: Little Brother, Slum, Murs, Brother Ali, Madlib...a few others, but those are some I actively listened to.

If you ask me about any other artist, I'll tell you if I liked em or not. But one thing I've said before on here, is that I hate how modern Underground Rap was so disconnected from the 90's and 80's, that they never made any party music, and were almost against anything that you could dance to. This is one reason I feel the Just Blaze type production was more of a descendant...because you can throw on Hip Hop Hooray, Check the rime, Buddy, even Shimmy Shimmy Ya and TROY in some places and people go WILD. And this may be me looking at it as a DJ, but yeah.

>It's not the first time I've read something like this for you
>and I'm always left scratching my head because I don't think
>of you as being that dismissive.... but at the same time
>recognize we've all got our biases.
>
>No snark in any of this I hope you realize.
>
>█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
>Big PEMFin H & z's
>"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1
>thing, a musician." © Miles
>
>"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."