Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWhat is the last DOPE "Producer/DJ Album"???
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2825420
2825420, What is the last DOPE "Producer/DJ Album"???
Posted by double 0, Thu Jul-25-13 01:11 PM
I'm bout to start on the album and I was trying to remember the last dope one. They all seem to suffer from either monotony TOO much eclecticism or wack guest appearances... I been bumping Flume's album heavy but I guess I mean something more "above" ground..
2825424, RE: What is the last DOPE "Producer/DJ Album"???
Posted by SsenepoD, Thu Jul-25-13 01:14 PM
if you're talking typical hip-hop, Statik Selektah's last album came out really well with a lot of good guest verse. besides that, Disclosure's album Settle was really well put together with the guests all fitting the vibe
2825427, RE: What is the last DOPE "Producer/DJ Album"???
Posted by double 0, Thu Jul-25-13 01:24 PM
yea guess the disclosure album is the biggest so far.. seems that it has to be pretty niche based to work
2825425, that new tony touch,piece maker 3
Posted by judono, Thu Jul-25-13 01:16 PM
Classic east coast on the traditional hiphop steez. A dope record
2825471, RE: What is the last DOPE "Producer/DJ Album"???
Posted by bills, Thu Jul-25-13 03:50 PM
I think people are just done with him...but 9th Wonder's The Wonder Years from 2011 is a beautiful album.
2825577, Statik has a couple but Def Dee put out a decent joint too
Posted by Mash_Comp, Thu Jul-25-13 10:01 PM
Alchemist's Russian Roulette is my personal fave.
2825580, Tangent: Does the producer or the features make it hot?
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Jul-25-13 10:17 PM
I know folk will want to say its a combo but I don't know. Bad MC's can ruin good beats. Good MC's can make bad beats work.

You can probably guess my answer then.

So who you planning to work with, because ultimately I think it's how you tie the various parties involved into a theme that puts you the Producer at the center that does it.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2825610, I always thought it was the opposite...
Posted by PCProductions, Thu Jul-25-13 11:36 PM
To me, there is no saving a bad beat. After all, isn't the reason I'm listening to enjoy music? I suppose that it depends on what you care about more... In all honesty, I can easily tune out an MC; I've known a lot of people who primarily listen to a rapper though.

I can't imagine how I could like Livin' Proof if I couldn't do that. Sometimes I decide to listen to Nutcracker and think to myself "well I shouldn't have done that" and go back to enjoying to how dope Suspended in Time's beat is.
2825612, "we take the wackest song, and make it better" © Kris Parker
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Jul-25-13 11:37 PM

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2825721, I Usually Hate A Song If The Beat Is Wack/Terrible But...
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Fri Jul-26-13 10:35 AM
...over the years there have been a lot of decent songs that I only like just a little cause the rapper/emcee on it was spitting some dope shit or the rapper's flow was so good and sometimes matched the beat that he/she made you kind of forget about the beat; Busta Rhymes has shown this is possible for the past few years.

2825679, No Idols.
Posted by jetblack, Fri Jul-26-13 08:20 AM
2825698, Marco Polo - Port Authority is the last one with rappers I remember
Posted by Nodima, Fri Jul-26-13 09:38 AM
But my go-to for producers making their own albums as a side thing I'd say Exile's Radio. That album is brilliant.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2825717, Marco Polo's "Newport Authority 2"
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Fri Jul-26-13 10:29 AM
Even though it was at first a free downloadable (now official) project of songs that wasn't going to make his upcoming "Port Authority 2", it's the last dope producer album that came out recently.

Statik Selektah's last album "Extended Play" is good too but some songs I didn't care for; and Tony Touch's new album "Piece Maker 3" is good but most of the songs were too short and a few beats were just okay, but both albums are still top notch compared to all the wackness out these days.

2825868, anything by Dela
Posted by Kosa12, Fri Jul-26-13 08:32 PM
http://dela.bandcamp.com/

(That has rappers on it)
2825894, Apollo Brown & O.C. was criminally slept on
Posted by Wordman, Fri Jul-26-13 11:56 PM

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
2825966, agreed
Posted by PuertoNico, Sat Jul-27-13 10:50 AM